1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Not Feeling Too Good Right Now About My Grades...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Triathlete, May 28, 2008.

1. Triathlete

Triathlete New Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi,
    My name is Mick. I'm 27/M and I work as a night-shift RN, 24 hours a week. Recently I just received a D in my O chem class and I am sick to my stomach. My overall GPA was 3.2 (including city college courses, and without nursing classes) and I had an overall GPA of 3.28 at my Cal State. I loaded myself with 13 units this semester and due to things occurring outside of school, my grades are considerably lower this semester. I was wondering how bad this D is going to affect my chances of getting into Dental school? I plan on taking both O chem classes next summer, although I got a B in the first half of O chem. Overall, I've received 2 other D's in school in my past life, both nursing courses. I have two W's also, a recent one for Bio Stats, and one for A&P, from my irresponsible nursing days. I've been an RN for almost four years, now, and I never wanted to do it. Life situations just pushed me that way. Now, I've managed to return to school to do what I really want. I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot this semester, but so many things have happened. I moved out with my fiance, whom I've gotten engaged with recently, and I've lost a few family members all this semester. In all honesty, I felt like everything this semester happened so fast, but I decided to not drop things and tough it out. Easy A's became B's and the only B I needed to work for is now a D (O chem). My transcript would show lots of A's and B's and (very) few C's here and there. I've barely begun to take upper courses this semester.

I apologize for such a long letter and so many random thoughts. I know I can pull an upward trend from here on out. I just need to hear the Truth and some good advice, please.

Thanks,
    Mick

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    Mick,

If you are applying this cycle, it won't look good though likely wouldn't be the deciding factor. If you are applying next cycle, just retake OChem and shoot for a B and you will be fine. That said, 3.2 is very average for applicants now, as is a 3.28...so you have to do VERY well on the DAT. Shoot for 20+ and apply to quite a few schools. I think you have a decent shot if not on your first application, then on your second. With your stats you should get into dental school...it's just a matter of when. If you were concerned, don't worry about the age either. I was 26 when I applied, currently 28 and there are a lot of people in my class around 30. One in next years class is over 40.

4. irishgurl

Pre-Dental
    Mick, It's nice to see a fellow RN also trying to get out! I too have been an RN for the last four years. Also wasn't my first choice but basically went in as a method of survival due to the fact that I was a single Mom trying to make it. Same GPA boat too due to the fact that 10 years ago when I decided I should go back to school, I got a couple of F's due to improper withdrawls. (I had no idea what the hell I was doing!). It should be up to a 3.4 by the time I'm finished with my prereqs. I'm hoping to apply next cycle. I say just do what you have to do to get what you want. If you have to redo O-chem and apply next cycle do it, you are still young. I am 38 yrs old. I refuse to quit until I am a dentist, as this has been my dream for some time now. Best of luck to you! I hope you get accepted whenever you decide to apply. Sorry I have no app. advice but I'm still learning about this stuff too.:)

5. DentAZ

Dental Student
    Look at most school's requirements, they will likely say you need a C or better to allow that course to be considered as complete. That is my worry for you. If you were accepted, it may be contingent upon your retaking that class with a satisfactory grade.

6. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    I got 2 D's in pre-reqs (Bio 1 and Organic 2) first time around. Retook them and got A's in both! I'm now a rising second year dental student at a respected program.

I also applied and was accepted during the most competitive application cycle to date. Not bragging, just providing some hope!

Keep your grades up and rock the DAT.

Best of luck to you! jb!:)

7. Triathlete

Triathlete New Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi everyone,
    Thank you for your kind messages. I've taken a break from school to work and save money for the summer, but will return full time in the Fall '08. As far as a my Organic Chemistry (2nd semester) I ended up with a C. My professor wrote a letter to me saying that I was off from a C by a point and my "participatioin during the class was excellent." That and Calc II are my only C's since I've returned to school after completing nursing, as the rest are B's and A's... including a B in 1st semester O Chem. I may re-take Organic Chem in the summer of next year, if I have time

Best of Luck,
    Mick