Not finishing a Masters, applying to psych residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIHO4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started a special masters program in medical sciences and the program has a thesis requirement, which is required to finish the degree.

I have been accepted medical school and I am leaning towards not finishing because the school charges nearly $5k to finish the thesis. The medical school I was accepted to said they had no problem if I don't finish it. I just feel my money and time could be better spent.

Is there any way that this could affect me in my residency applications in the future? Do you think having a Master's degree could enhance my residency applications? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of it is a personal decision. If you entered the program to get into medical school, congratulations, your job is done.

If you have a strong interest in the subject matter and would like to develop an academic career, the thesis can be a very useful jumping off point and would stand you in good stead if you intend to apply to an academically-oriented residency program.

If your main interest is, however, in just getting into med school and you don't have the energy/enthusiasm for completing the project, it seems you're best off doing something you'd enjoy more.

And it's not the same as a PhD dissertation. A masters thesis really has limited "academic value". If you're set on medical school and did change your mind about doing something more academic in the future, you'd still have opportunities to "make amends" and get into a resaerch area interesting to you down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thesis really is a non-issue, it wouldn't even be laboratory based, but rather a literature review thesis. In my mind, I could spend this time working in a lab to get published and GET PAID, instead of writing a thesis with little value and paying money to do so.

I was more concerned about if residency programs might ever look into whether I actually got the MA degree. How much value does the degree itself hold? If they ever found out, do you think they would judge me as "uncommitted"?

The thesis really is a non-issue, it wouldn't even be laboratory based, but rather a literature review thesis. In my mind, I could spend this time working in a lab to get published and GET PAID, instead of writing a thesis with little value and paying money to do so.

I was more concerned about if residency programs might ever look into whether I actually got the MA degree. How much value does the degree itself hold? If they ever found out, do you think they would judge me as "uncommitted"?

What I was trying to say is that you've got 4 yrs of med school to demonstrate your real interests. So no, they probably aren't going to care that much.

A master's will help, especially if you want to go into psychiatry.

It, however, will not help much, in terms of money making potential. In fact I am agreeing with several above. If there's a good psychiatrist with a good CV, the masters degree will make the CV a little more impressive but it's a lot of work for something that'll give little professional benefit.

I don't want to talk you out of it. If you love the behavioral sciences, you have to weigh things more than just the money making potential and CV perks.

I would go for the masters if you really wanted to do so for your own personal satisfaction, want to go into academia and/or you want to go into psychiatric research. If you just want to go into clinical work, a master's in psychology will make little if any difference in terms of job opportunities and money.

I'm guessing you're in the BU program. Regardless, the whole point of the program is to get you into med school, which you've already accomplished. The degree is essentially worthless vis-a-vis the rest of your career, academic or otherwise. If your med school really doesn't care if you finish or not, I'd save your money and have some fun with the rest of your year.

i'm guessing you're in the bu program. Regardless, the whole point of the program is to get you into med school, which you've already accomplished. The degree is essentially worthless vis-a-vis the rest of your career, academic or otherwise. If your med school really doesn't care if you finish or not, i'd save your money and have some fun with the rest of your year.

+1

Doc Samson...you were on the money.

I did get a 3.7 tho in the program. Do you think residency directors would be impressed with my transcript? Good performance in Biochem, histology, endocrinology, physiology ? Does that bring any value to the table for my residency applications?

Thanks in advance!

I did get a 3.7 tho in the program. Do you think residency directors would be impressed with my transcript? Good performance in Biochem, histology, endocrinology, physiology ? Does that bring any value to the table for my residency applications?
Thanks in advance!

Short answer: no.
Med school grades, boards, personal character--that counts.

If you're bringing something to the table, I suggest dessert. :D

But they were medical school classes, taken with medical students....

Thanks in advance!

As a former BU master's recipient, I can tell you this - no-one will EVER care that you went there, much less how well you did. The program has served it's purpose - it got you into med school. Residency PDs aren't really going to care all that much how you do in the first two years of medical school as long as you do pretty well on step 1 of the boards.

Clinical grades + board scores + LORs = Interview

Once you're face to face with the PD, the rest is up to you.

But they were medical school classes, taken with medical students....

We understand that this feels like a major accomplishment to you. Unfortunately (or fortunately, should you choose to reframe it thus), once you matriculate into medical school, none of that matters. Fresh start, clean slate, "what have you done for us lately", all that....

You proven you can be a student. Now focus on becoming a physician.