dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
So, random question.

I know a lot of people do formal postbaccs to raise their stats.

Is it possible to do an informal postbacc? And example would be like taking upper-div science classes an colleges that offer them to non-univ students. Would this work as well, or does it have to be a formal post-bacc?

TheMan21

7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2009
Status
Medical Student
So, random question.

I know a lot of people do formal postbaccs to raise their stats.

Is it possible to do an informal postbacc? And example would be like taking upper-div science classes an colleges that offer them to non-univ students. Would this work as well, or does it have to be a formal post-bacc?
I did that. Didn't want to pay for whole post-bac when I all I wanted was to take 5 upper level bio courses. It will still factor into your sGPA on AMCAS, it will be fine.

tremulousNeedle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
All undergraduate courses are factored into your undergrad GPA on amcas regardless of whether you are earning a degree or simply taking the course for graded credit. And the courses that you take don't necessarily all need to be super upper level courses. A couple easier science courses will also have the same effect, but by all means if you like the challenge, go for it.

-senior medical student - matched / admissions committee interviewer

dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hmm.. okay.

So, I guess I should be specific to make sure this is okay.
I live in LA so was thinking of doing some courses at Cal State LA.. they have some upper div courses such as Molecular Genetics, Biochem etc.

They also do have a formal certificat post-bacc, but I really do not want to go through the whole application process and do not really need the advising of the MCAT course. So I just want to take some upper div classes to prove that I can do well. Figured this is cheaper.

Would this be okay?

tremulousNeedle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Why wouldn't it be ok?

dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Why wouldn't it be ok?
Mainly concerned that schools prefer formal postbaccs through a certificate/master's program as opposed to an independent informal postbacc.

If thats not an issue.... I'm happy hee he:D

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A formal or DIY post-bacc program is ultimately a personal choice (including factors such as costs, location, convenience, etc.). You will find many examples of people who have had great success choosing either route.

Best of luck.