Not getting honors in Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyez01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M3 worried about not getting an honors on my Medicine clerkship. I missed it by 3 points on the shelf and the site director at the hospital where I did my rotation doesn't give honors on the clinical evaluations. I received great comments though from my attendings, site director, and residents. I did receive honors on my Surgery rotation. Will not getting honors in Medicine negatively affect my chances of getting interviews or matching? Should I do my medicine sub-i early to make up for it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an M3 worried about not getting an honors on my Medicine clerkship. I missed it by 3 points on the shelf and the site director at the hospital where I did my rotation doesn't give honors on the clinical evaluations. I received great comments though from my attendings, site director, and residents. I did receive honors on my Surgery rotation. Will not getting honors in Medicine negatively affect my chances of getting interviews or matching? Should I do my medicine sub-i early to make up for it?

Deep breath...it will be ok. I didn't honor my medicine clerkship and I did just fine in the ophtho match. It's about the entire application: grades, boards, research, recs, etc. A high pass in medicine isn't going to kill you.

Not honoring medicine is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Do as well as you can in the rest of your rotations, get to know the ophthalmology faculty and residents at your institution, get involved in ophthalmology research, plan for away rotations, do as well as you can on your boards, get letters from faculty who know you well, apply broadly and get your application in early. These things will likely have more of an impact on your chances of getting in than any single letter grade in a clerkship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses! I feel a little better now :) I'm just going to try to do my best on the rotations I have left.

Does it matter though if I do my medicine sub-I early or is it ok to do it after the match?

I am just now doing mine and I matched at my #1 as well. For my app it was much more important to do away rotations and work on getting solid LOR's from ophthalmologists than to do my sub-I early. I was not asked by a single program about it. Don't stress about it.