Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Not getting the greatest of grades, feeling discouraged

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by morrian14, 10.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. morrian14

morrian14

Pre-Medical
    So, I feel like this topic is different than most. I was accepted this year to LECOM through their early acceptance program. I know it's not the greatest medical school on the planet, but for me it's perfectly fine. It's close to home and it's much cheaper than other medical schools. I'm a freshman in college right now. In high school I had a ton of volunteer hours and worked way too much. I had a 4.0, above average SAT, and was in top ten percent. The whole shebang.
    To stay in the program I have to keep at the very least a 3.5 GPA and a 3.2 science GPA. As of right now, I'm struggling with organic chemistry. I'll probably be able to make it to a B. I'm hoping to do better the second half, but I currently have a B in freshman biology. I think my biggest problem in chemistry is that I make stupid mistakes on the test, but they add up so quickly. In biology, I study a ton but the way my professor grades the open ended portions is killing me. Basically, I will most likely have the 3.5 GPA with my writing class and a few other classes added in. I'm just so discouraged but I'm working really hard. I'm spending hours with my organic chemistry professor and studying hard for my biology exams only to get Bs. I feel like maybe I'm not cut out for medical school if I'm struggling this much with chemistry and biology.
    I think another one of my problems is that my strongest classes in high school were by far math and physics. I always had A's in biology but I never got the satisfaction from it that I did from physics. I love solving problems and figuring out ways to accomplish tasks. I don't like memorizing every bone in the body or every muscle. I like seeing how parts of the body work together and understanding all the processes that go along with it. I know I'm going to find biochemistry extraordinarily interesting when I can finally take it.
    Basically, I have a decision to make. My current college does not offer engineering courses and if I do transfer to Penn State (which was my second choice originally) I will have to drop out of LECOM's program. I'm starting to feel like maybe I wasn't deserving of my early acceptance. What if I get to medical school and I do as awful as I'm doing here? I just don't know what to do.

Last edited: 10.29.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DoctorSynthesis

DoctorSynthesis Friendly osteopath 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If your school has academic support go to them. Take some easy A s courses. Devote more time for school work

4. baxt1412

baxt1412 Liftus Maximus 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you WERE deserving, otherwise they wouldn't have given it to you.

you have been handed a very great opportunity. VERY GREAT. capitalize on it by any means necessary.

5. morrian14

morrian14

Pre-Medical
    The problem with going to a liberal arts school is that they take humanities so seriously. I thought my philosophy class was going to be an easy A. That was not the case at all. I'm devoting a ton of time to school. I spend 70% of my weekends studying. I don't know what it is. I feel confident that I know the material and then make small mistakes on everything. I'm not sure what the academic support will do for me. I'm not failing and usually when you have a B they tell you to just study a little more or ask your professor for help. I've spent multiple hours with my organic chemistry professor getting extra help. We also have group study sessions four hours a week and I always attend them. It's like I'm just incapable of getting an A in this class.

6. morrian14

morrian14

Pre-Medical
    It's just hard to think that when I spend hours studying and still can't achieve an A. I'm not giving up. I'm just really discouraged at this point.

7. DoctorSynthesis

DoctorSynthesis Friendly osteopath 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Academic support might be able to help you with testing/tutoring. There is a reason you get a certain grade. If you have mastered the material and still don't get a certain grade you then need to master testing. Be more careful on tests. Also relax and don't get ahead of yourself. Its a long road. One step at a time.

karling likes this.
  8. baxt1412

Medical Student
    like doctorsynthesis said, if you're mastering the material IE your recall is fine, your application is falling off somewhere on the test.

if you spend hours and your recall is less than stellar, then maybe your approach needs to change. there are always things you can improve upon. keep your chin up

9. Doctoblast

Doctoblast 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    College is an adjustment. I was valedictorian of my class (500 grads) and I had a 3.3 my first semester. Figure out how to study, use your resources and recover. You can do it!!

10. nwciowa

nwciowa Assistant to the Regional Manager 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A few B's here and there will not kill you by any means. Even a C is fine! That is why there is an "A" in GPA. It's an average! Many general science classes are weeder courses to discourage those who might not be able to even pull the B grades that you are. Persevere, refocus. Try to get an A for every B. It will pay off! Good luck!!

11. PlaqueBuster

PlaqueBuster "Perfect" practice makes you perfect

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Not sure what you want us to do for you. I mean you need to take this program you were accepted into seriously and study. No other way to put it. Medical school will be harder so begin to find a good studying habits now. If you are underperforming in classes, then ask yourself what you are doing wrong. 3.5 gpa and 3.2 sgpa is pretty considerate for staying in a medical program because if you applied to medical schools with those stats you will have a hard time getting in. Go to office hours, meet with advisor, and maybe better plan your schedule so you dont take too many difficult classes at once.

12. yanks26dmb

yanks26dmb 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Really use ratemyprofessor - it shouldn't be hard to find classes that are an easy A. Pick one or two of those a semester and use 'em to keep your GPA where it needs to be.

13. BHB2008

BHB2008

Pre-Medical
    What yanks26dmb said. There are those who take all upper-level science classes or engineering and only swing a 3.2, then there are those who know "how the game is played" and buffer their science classes with easy A classes and swing a 3.7. Part of the process is recognizing that you have to play this GPA game.

Also, no one can tell you if you have what it takes to success in medical school. You really need to think about whether you want to be an engineer or a doctor. Two completely different lifestyles. If you're feeling burnout this early on . . . BUT, if that *is* what you really want to do, remember it's a marathon, life is long, and you can't let every setback get you down. You can definitely pull it off. Plenty of people on the non-trad forum would give a lot to have a guaranteed linkage to LECOM, so keep that in mind. Good luck.

14. baxt1412

Medical Student
    ya, please don't mess this guaranteed linkage up, OP. thousands of people would kill to be in your position right now.

About the ads