Not great O Chem grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seldon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a rising sophomore in college. When I was a senior in highschool, I took the full sequence of organic chemistry. It was a trimester system and I got a B-, a B-, and a B. Will this keep me out of the best MD/PhD programs?

Since then, I have gotten straight A's in science, am in the honors college, and have accelerated myself so fast through Penn state's biochemistry program that they have needed to make a masters program just for me. Though I have done extremely well, graduate and medical schools will still need to see the old grade and that worries me quite a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a rising sophomore in college. When I was a senior in highschool, I took the full sequence of organic chemistry. It was a trimester system and I got a B-, a B-, and a B. Will this keep me out of the best MD/PhD programs?

Since then, I have gotten straight A's in science, am in the honors college, and have accelerated myself so fast through Penn state's biochemistry program that they have needed to make a masters program just for me. Though I have done extremely well, graduate and medical schools will still need to see the old grade and that worries me quite a bit.

No.

You don't show them your grades from high school

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a college course. My high school didn't offer O Chem, so I had to go the university in the city.

No, I went straight to general biochemistry, which is a 400 level course. I was one of very few who got an A.

No, I went straight to general biochemistry, which is a 400 level course. I was one of very few who got an A.
Then Ochem will be an easy A for you, you could just take it and ace it to prove the B's weren't representative of you. I only say this for Ochem, because many people view it as the gold standard hardcore class. Have you taken the MCAT?

No, I haven't taken the mcat. I am only just beginning my sophomore year.

I don't really want to retake O Chem, but I will if I must. I am taking a graduate course called Biochemical Reaction mechanisms next semester. Maybe this will be sufficient to prove my O Chem prowess.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it everyone.

No, I haven't taken the mcat. I am only just beginning my sophomore year.

I don't really want to retake O Chem, but I will if I must. I am taking a graduate course called Biochemical Reaction mechanisms next semester. Maybe this will be sufficient to prove my O Chem prowess.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it everyone.
Let me get this straight...you've only completed your freshman year yet are already so accelerated that Penn state has custom designed you a Masters?

If you're handling Biochem and advanced/grad courses, Ochem will not be especially tough, especially as a second visit. May as well knock out any possible doubt.

Let me get this straight...you've only completed your freshman year yet are already so accelerated that Penn state has custom designed you a Masters?

If you're handling Biochem and advanced/grad courses, Ochem will not be especially tough, especially as a second visit. May as well knock out any possible doubt.

Is getting an A in OChem really that important? I was considering not taking OChem II (given the deemphasis of it MCAT-wise), but I got a B in OChem I, so I feel like it'd be risky to not take it. It seems like taking it and getting an A would do a lot to dispel any concerns. I hate chem labs, but I'm willing to trudge my way through it if it's going to be a deal-breaker on my application. Thoughts?? Would A's in Physics I and II even make up for a B in OChem?

You got Bs???? Say it ain't so!! I'm kidding, you'll be fine, don't risk retaking the class and doing worse. Keep on moving forward.

Is getting an A in OChem really that important? I was considering not taking OChem II (given the deemphasis of it MCAT-wise), but I got a B in OChem I, so I feel like it'd be risky to not take it. It seems like taking it and getting an A would do a lot to dispel any concerns. I hate chem labs, but I'm willing to trudge my way through it if it's going to be a deal-breaker on my application. Thoughts?? Would A's in Physics I and II even make up for a B in OChem?
I believe most med schools require a full year of organic chemistry with lab anyways, but yes Ochem is important as the traditional difficult weedout class. There's essentially nothing better to have A's in than Ochem