Not having any extracurricular experience, but working in a pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorgirl1214

Chomp it!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm in classes full time (12-18 credits a semester - taking 16 this fall) and I work 35 hours a week as a retail pharmacy tech at a national chain.

I have a lot on my plate, and it's stressful enough keeping A's and B's in pre-reqs while working. My grades are good, which should help me. I've not had anything lower than a B in a pre-req.

How much will not having extracurriculars hurt me? I already have a degree, but again, I had no extracurriculars because I was doing the school full time/work full time thing.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm in classes full time (12-18 credits a semester - taking 16 this fall) and I work 35 hours a week as a retail pharmacy tech at a national chain.

I have a lot on my plate, and it's stressful enough keeping A's and B's in pre-reqs while working. My grades are good, which should help me. I've not had anything lower than a B in a pre-req.

How much will not having extracurriculars hurt me? I already have a degree, but again, I had no extracurriculars because I was doing the school full time/work full time thing.

There is no "perfect" answer regarding to answering your question, but there is a lot of criteria that pharmacy schools look for when ranking the candidates:

GPA
PCAT
Volunteer/EC's
Personal Statement
LORs
Work Experience
Honors/Scholarships
Publications (It's a plus)
Etc.

But I believe many schools want you to do some volunteering to show your personality (do you want to help? empathetic?) ...in many cases they'll count 10% towards the candidate ranking or 15% ~ not sure how ADCOM thinks but it's really good to have.

Think about it, at least 600 ~ 1000 applicants will apply and when you compete with these people, your selection will be reduced because other candidates may have volunteering.

It's not just having 4.0 with 90+% PCAT, you also need to have a well rounded background which includes other factors as well.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

You're going up against other applicants with 4.0s, CPhT with many hours of experience, etc etc....you need to set yourself apart.

If you hit the mark in the other spots, it shouldn't hurt too bad. I didn't have any, and I got interviews to top 5 schools. I was like you, worked a lot of hours during the week and was so focused on my crammed school schedule that I didn't make time for extracurricular activities. Certainly mention it in your personal statement and that you would love to help the community once in pharmacy school, that can help. I think most people fatten up their application with volunteer work here and there and it does help I'm sure (I'm no adcom), but it gets to a point where anyone can volunteer somewhere, what else sets you apart from the rest? If you do have time to volunteer I suggest doing something your passionate about and including that in your personal statement. Good luck! :thumbup: