Not HPSP, but National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mutterkuchen

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any financial incentives for medical students to join the National Guard? I have tried to investigate this on SDN and on the National Guard web site, but have found little information.

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible. when I was in National Guard, the recruiter for our unit said the National Guard send people through Med school too. However, it is hard to do this while in Med school. you have to committ to one weekend each month to do military stuff. On top of this, as National Guard, you may be activated and deployed before you finish your studies. If interested, PM/email me and I can give you number of my unit (former unit) recruiter. He would probably be happy to send you info.

Melinda

I'm actually in the process of doing this right now... It is unfortunate that you have to give up one weekend per month, but then again, in my case, I am obligated to serve because I still owe another year of reserve time to finish paying back my ROTC scholarship.

Basically, from what I understand, you are in a non-deployable status (which is why I am expediting my transfer from the Engineer Branch to Medical Service Corps)... Hopefully we don't decide that Mr. Hussein should take an early involuntary retirement in the next 2 months, or I might get called up.

Also, just fyi, unless you have prior officer experience, you will probably have to go to officer basic course (ask your recruiter to be sure)... plus, one thing I found out is that prior officers actually get demoted when they join MSC... so I'm enjoying my last drills as an O-2 before I become a butter bar again.

AFAIK, you'll probably join a MSC unit and be doing physicals/paperwork on your weekend drills. That's what they have me slated for.

-ttac