Not interested in medicine...but considering medical school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah don't waste your time in this field. A tremendous amount of work for a job that you hate just for the "money and prestige"? The money isn't that great compared to other jobs that could make equal for less work and there isn't the same prestige in the medical field that there used to be. You're fortunate that you've recognized early on that you don't like medicine and can switch into something that interests you more. Now can you can save a lot of money and time!

Yes, most of us (or at least I) am thrilled to talk about the things you've described. If you're not enthusiastic about medicine, then you'd probably hate life trying to pursue it. What exactly are you looking for in a career? Perhaps we could make suggestions as to what would align with your goals?

Kennen MD!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah don't waste your time in this field. A tremendous amount of work for a job that you hate just for the "money and prestige"? The money isn't that great compared to other jobs that could make equal for less work and there isn't the same prestige in the medical field that there used to be. You're fortunate that you've recognized early on that you don't like medicine and can switch into something that interests you more. Now can you can save a lot of money and time!

Yes, most of us (or at least I) am thrilled to talk about the things you've described. If you're not enthusiastic about medicine, then you'd probably hate life trying to pursue it. What exactly are you looking for in a career? Perhaps we could make suggestions as to what would align with your goals?
For example?.. take your time..

I did it by process of elimination. I knew there were a few subjects I didn't like (physics-math-engineering, philosophy), so I didn't look into where those careers would lead. There were a few subjects I did like better than medicine (economics-psychology-sociology), but the career prospects either didn't suit my personality (business networky types, or long, drawn out projects in cosulting or w/e) or were too much work for too little pay (publish or perish of academia). I knew I wanted a shot at an upper-middle class life, did not mind the subject matter (but am not reading about cytokines in my free time, either), and am really drawn to the day-to-day stuff of medicine (curious about each patient, want to read their history, want to know how they're doing after we see them, and it's many little projects instead of one big one for many months). If you find the subject matter awful and the day-to-day stuff terrible, don't torture yourself, but I think many people make compromises for their careers, so don't apologize to anyone for making the choices you do. You just have to live with them.

assuming you have the capabilities of making it to medical school... you have to ask yourself if you could really live with being a doctor for at least 25-35 years. and I mean you have to go to work every day, treat people with respect, put on a smile, and do your job... while secretly not REALLY enjoying what you're doing, but enjoying the benefits. I guess THEORETICALLY if you could do that, provided you don't screw up a patient and people reasonably like you... then I suppose you could pull it off. I don't know, it might be kinda rough. but there are a lot of different fields of medicine, maybe youll find one you genuinely enjoy.