Not listing shadowing in the activities section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fideliuscharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’ve been looking back on the materials I submitted and am wondering if this is going to hurt my application. Although I did indeed shadow, I’ve taken several gap years and all 15 of my activity slots were filled. I do mention shadowing in the description of 3 of my activities and one of them is paid medical employment where I worked directly with 4 physicians, but I’m wondering if not explicitly having shadowing as its own activity will be detrimental. If so, how much is it likely to hurt my application? Would it be worth it to point out my shadowing experience in secondaries? Perhaps under an 'anything else' prompt?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been looking back on the materials I submitted and am wondering if this is going to hurt my application. Although I did indeed shadow, I’ve taken several gap years and all 15 of my activity slots were filled. I do mention shadowing in the description of 3 of my activities and one of them is paid medical employment where I worked directly with 4 physicians, but I’m wondering if not explicitly having shadowing as its own activity will be detrimental. If so, how much is it likely to hurt my application? Would it be worth it to point out my shadowing experience in secondaries? Perhaps under an 'anything else' prompt?
There are some schools that explicitly recommend/require a specific number of shadowing hours. For those schools only, it won't hurt to estimate the hours and include them if a Secondary prompt is relevant. In general, I agree though, that as you mentioned shadowing in several places on your Primary application, you should be fine.

There are some schools that explicitly recommend/require a specific number of shadowing hours. For those schools only, it won't hurt to estimate the hours and include them if a Secondary prompt is relevant. In general, I agree though, that as you mentioned shadowing in several places on your Primary application, you should be fine.

Thanks a lot for the response! :) Do you happen to know of any schools besides UW that have a hard requirement for a certain number of shadowing hours? I've tried looking through MSAR but most just indicate that they recommend shadowing without going into specifics.

Thanks a lot for the response! :) Do you happen to know of any schools besides UW that have a hard requirement for a certain number of shadowing hours? I've tried looking through MSAR but most just indicate that they recommend shadowing without going into specifics.
Sorry, I don't keep a list, but I saw it on yet another website a few days ago. UCF used to require 40 hours. You might check their website and see if they removed that wording. Check out UUtah, too.

Sorry, I don't keep a list, but I saw it on yet another website a few days ago. UCF used to require 40 hours. You might check their website and see if they removed that wording. Check out UUtah, too.

Thank you so much :cat: