Not passing USMLE II CK- NEED ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-EuroDoc-

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I need your advice. I am a 4th year DO student and would like to apply to IM. I finished taking COMLEX and wanted to take USMLE II CK. I took the 1st UWSA and got 199 :( (I was running out of time in all 4 sections and had to just put a random answer for the last couple of questions of each section)

I never took USMLE Step I because I was barely passing on the NBMEs and did not want to risk failing the real thing. So, my question is....should I study for a month (while on rotations) and try to take USMLE Step II CK or is that pointless since I did not take USMLE Step I?

P.S. I feel really discouraged. I have done 2.5 question banks ( COMBANK, COMQUEST and 1/2 of UWorld) and I am still scoring so low.I am not sure if I am just not timing myself properly or I am just dumb. In college my GPA was 3.72 and my major was Molecular Biology (def. not an easy major!). So, my point is that I know how to study but yet, I am not doing well at all. :( Please help with any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you did fine on your DO Board exams, like close to average or above then don't take USMLE if you'll do poorly. You'll still match IM given you have the above. Wont be at a top program but one that regularly takes DO grads. Even if you took and got lets say 220. I don't believe it will make much difference if hadn't taken it, your match will probably be more or less the same. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a DO student. I took step 1 and just recently took step 2 ck. It's a beast of an exam. I personally thought it made step one look weak.

I think iceman is right. Step 1 is the exam that opens doors for us, and then CK is icing on the cake. Just having step 2 (along with comlex and no step 1) will PROBABLY not open anymore doors than just having the comlex levels. A broad application to IM programs will most likely see you match as is.

If you had a specific program in mind, it might be best to call that program and ask how much a step 2 would elevate your application, and then proceed from there.