SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not unless you're incredibly strong in o-chem. For the vast majority, no. It's a horrible idea to even consider skipping o-chem prep.

I don't know why anyone would want to skip their o-chem prep when there's at least one guaranteed o-chem passage with a decent chance for o-chem to make up ~40% of your test.

Last edited:

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it possible to do well on the BS section without prepping at all for Orgo?

Thanks
If you're really, really good at Orgo, I suggest you pick up the EK Orgo book (it's a small/skinny little book) and read the whole thing. That's all I did and I only missed 1 orgo question, if any, on practice exams. If you're not good at orgo, then that would be a terrible idea. I had 3 orgo passages on my real exam.

TFS

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
if ochem is your strong suit i think brushing up can only help. compared to all the other topics, in many ways, it is the easiest and fastest to review. you might as well make it your bitch if it isn't already.

azrk

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
It depends on your definition of well...:)

If you did well in your Ochem classes I would do a quick review at least to make sure you recognize the material.

Oncoloman

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it possible to do well on the BS section without prepping at all for Orgo?

Thanks

I don't believe so at all. There is always at least one passage ...so it seems from the forum discussions. Play it safe mate! Study organic I and II. :thumbup:

FollowTheMoney

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2010
I can tell you that I am a beast at Organic, like that **** is my bitch, but I'm still ordering TBR for heavy practice in a passage based MCAT format. However, if I got a passage about spectroscopy or lab techniques I would probably get owned, not going to lie. Everything else....:D

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
The MCAT loves discrete questions about spectroscopy and NMR so make sure you review those topics at least. Oh and understand what makes things have higher or lower boiling points as that seems to come up frequently.

Other than that, just make sure you refresh yourself on some of the more important orgo reactions like reduction, oxidation, aldol condensation, etc. I didn't review much orgo in my MCAT prep and felt it was super easy on all the tests I did.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
I can tell you that I am a beast at Organic, like that **** is my bitch, but I'm still ordering TBR for heavy practice in a passage based MCAT format. However, if I got a passage about spectroscopy or lab techniques I would probably get owned, not going to lie. Everything else....:D
You will do well. TBR will make you a spec master. This is the way to go. Although the O-chem has been less, what is present is tough. So, going through TBR will make you ready for anything they throw at you.