Jesse3093

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2009
25
3
141
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone, I've been lurking on these forums for quite some time now but finally decided I needed some individualized help. Currently my situation is a bit scattered but hopefully with some help I'll be heading back towards the right path.

Currently I'm in my 3rd year of undergraduate at a public state school. Currently cGPA is 3.1 and sGPA 3.0. I'm not going to lie, I didn't put any effort forward into my first year of college and I regret that so much now. I finally came to reality the start of my 3rd year and have showed substantial improvements in my grades. My science grades have had an upward trend from C and B to B+ to A (example: gen. chem. = B- to Biochem. = A) but liberal art pre-req like my foreign language credits are still holding my cumulative down (no matter what I'll be horrible at French). One thing that is a bit tricky is I am actually graduating at the end of summer, so coming next fall I have no clue where I will be. If I keep my grades up for the rest of the semester and summer I'll hopefully be sitting at 3.35-3.4.

I am currently schedule to take my MCAT this coming saturday (3/27/10) but I know i am not prepared and will likely not score as high as I had hope. (currently AAMC avg. 26), I know I can do much better but the problem is trying to take 21cr. while studying for the MCAT. I haven't put in nearly as much time as I hope I could into study and preparing. I know i will have to most likely take the MCAT again.

I had planned to apply to a SMP hoping that success would demonstrate my change in attitude towards school. So heres when the decision making must come in.with my expected MCAT scores, i wont have much shot at getting into a SMP. So what would seems like the most logical course of plan for me next year? I appreciate taking the time to read this and am thankful for any help.
 

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
7,506
2,600
281
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don't take the MCAT as scheduled. If you're not ready, you're not ready. If you want to make the best of it, go take it as a practice test and void your results. If you take it, and as you expect you don't do well, that score gets reported forever. Why carry that? Don't take the test until you're ready to get your best possible score; when you can prioritize your preparation to do that, go for it. $230 is not a good reason to take the test.

In your shoes I would attempt to stay in undergrad another year. Add a major, a minor or otherwise get permission to keep taking coursework as a regular undergrad. This gives you 2 years to show a strong upward trend in upper div science. If you can get 3.7+ for those 2 years, you will improve your cumulative undergrad GPAs, but more importantly, you will convince yourself that you're on the right track to be aiming for med school.

You might be competitive for med school after 2 more years of undergrad, or you might not. If you're not, then you can do an SMP. You can also do everything else in your power to be a compelling candidate by seeking out interesting opportunities...and by getting your highest possible MCAT score.

I see no value at all in being in a hurry to start med school. At 21 it might look like the world will end if you start med school at 23 or 25. At 30 you will shake your head and wonder what you were thinking. Take your time, minimize debt, see the world, fall in love, try stuff.

Best of luck to you.
 

TXtaco25

5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
56
0
91
Status
Medical Student
Dr.Midlife, just wanted you to know that your last paragraph about being 21 really hit home for me. It made me realize that the path that I am taking to get where I am at is special. If all goes to plan, I will start med school when I just turn 26 (23 currently). I am getting to live a great, adventurous life for half my golden years, until I have to hit the books for good. Thanks for making me realize that!
 

Jesse3093

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2009
25
3
141
Status
Medical Student
Thank you so much for your response DrMidlife, I think I just needed someone else to tell me what I've been thinking is the best choice. I already have a Biology major and a chemistry minor but i can get the specialty i had originally wanted in Microbiology. Also by taking a 4th year I will be able to do the research I have been wanting to do and continue all my other extracurricular such as volunteering and clinical hours. Also I know my LOR will be much more personal since I will have further time to build a bond with my teachers. Although it is a waste of $230, I will just void this exam and use it as a lesson to myself. Do you think it would be best for me to study over summer and take my MCAT in early September?

I appreciate your words, and am glad that there was someone to help me from feeling hopeless. I hope I can give the same help to others.