Not realeasing mcat scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.Pearlman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I wanted to know whether I should be getting any heat from adcoms because of not releasing an mcat score. I took it exactly 2 yrs back, the summer after my second yr, and didnt study at all for it since I just wanted to attempt it knowing the stuff i learned in my core classes. I ended up getting a 20. Anyhow, I am not sure if I should release them now. Since my second attempt at the mcat was only this august, if i release my earlier scores, they might make the adcoms predict how my performance would be this august and make a decision based on that.

Members don't see this ad.

Some ADCOMS require that you submit all MCAT scores. I would suggest you do some research on each school so you can find out their policy on withholding scores.

I asked Judy, the ex-admissions officer at Examkrackers, and she said that it didn't matter and adcoms would probably assume that you didn't do your best and that it was not neccessary to release the scores. I've never heard of any school requiring all scores released. That must be illegal or something or why would we even have that option.

I looked up the schools policy's on withheld scores, it doesn't say anything about the consequences, only which scores they will look at, all or the latest. So anyone else know for sure if there aren't any consequences to not releasing scores. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on the schools. Some schools will not like it if you don't release your scores (although I am not sure if they will require you to), others will not care. The best way to find out is to call up schools you are applying to and ask them what they think.

Originally posted by J.Pearlman
Hello all, I wanted to know whether I should be getting any heat from adcoms because of not releasing an mcat score. I took it exactly 2 yrs back, the summer after my second yr, and didnt study at all for it since I just wanted to attempt it knowing the stuff i learned in my core classes. I ended up getting a 20. Anyhow, I am not sure if I should release them now. Since my second attempt at the mcat was only this august, if i release my earlier scores, they might make the adcoms predict how my performance would be this august and make a decision based on that.
Don't release a 20. Some schools average scores after all. Will the fact that you didn't release hurt you? Sure, I mean, they're gonna know you didn't do as well as you liked. No one that gets a 30+ chooses not to release..... The lesson to be learned from this is to never take the MCAT just for practice. Or if you are going to do take it, make sure you void it on test day. That way med schools will never know you took it. Then again, you'll never find out how you did either. Anyways, my advice is to not release. Just pray that the August scores come back a 30 +.