Not reporting transcripts to AMCAAS...do they check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedPrincess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took classes in HS @ local community college that I did not do so well in...

What is the likelihood I can get caught and blackballed by AMCAAS if don't report a transcript? Do they do thorough background checks? What about the respective med-schools? Can they find out later on in the process? if so, how?

Members don't see this ad.

I say risk it!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are playing with fire, missy. Your college is aware of those classes, right? What makes you so sure that there isn't a record of these classes in one of the many databases you unwittingly particpate in?

I took an ungraded community "extension" course (through a college's continuing ed division) in middle school, and it showed up on the official transcript from the college - I was shocked - I wasn't hiding anything, just could not believe that such a course would be recorded on a transcript.

All colleges participate in programs like FAFSA, and this can become a source of those pesky CC classes taken during high school...

You are playing with fire, missy. Your college is aware of those classes, right? What makes you so sure that there isn't a record of these classes in one of the many databases you unwittingly particpate in?

I took an ungraded community "extension" course (through a college's continuing ed division) in middle school, and it showed up on the official transcript from the college - I was shocked - I wasn't hiding anything, just could not believe that such a course would be recorded on a transcript.

All colleges participate in programs like FAFSA, and this can become a source of those pesky CC classes taken during high school...

I did not report the said CC to my undergrad either and got in. I can't imagine it popping up out of nowhere...it hasn't yet. I haven't filed for financial aid so FAFSA is out. I don't know...im just debating whether the pros of not reporting it outweigh the cons

I did not report the said CC to my undergrad either and got in. I can't imagine it popping up out of nowhere...it hasn't yet. I haven't filed for financial aid so FAFSA is out. I don't know...im just debating whether the pros of not reporting it outweigh the cons

How bad are the grades if you don't mind sharing? Lower than a C? Or a few C's?

Did your high school know about the CC classes? If so, they are undoubtedly mentioned on your HS transcript which your college has...trust me, there are electronic records of your attendance at the CC that you have no idea exist, in clearinghouses, on transcripts, etc...

Like I said, you are playing with fire, and the penalty is extreme.

But what do I care? Please don't report it and be our SDN guinea pig, and be sure to report back what happens...

How bad are the grades if you don't mind sharing? Lower than a C? Or a few C's?

It was the summer from jr to sr yr...i think it was like 4 yrs ago lol

i took chem and calcI and got a C in calc and a D in chem :-/

not my proudest academic performance for sure.

I say don't report anything you don't like. How could they ever know? I didn't report 2 schools I previously attended. I even left out classes I got bad grades in on my AMCAS and they didn't even add them after I sent in my transcripts. Thats why all the applicants GPAs are so high. I can't believe no one told you this before.

and is your GPA BESIDES those grades high?

Was your HS informed? Did you get HS credit for them?

Did you happen to do your undergrad at a college connected to the CC?

Are you sure that the record of this CC attendance has never been reported anywhere?

Seriously though, Adcoms shouldn't care what grades you got in highschool. You would feel really feel dumb if they rejected just becuase you didn't disclose those courses you took.

I say don't report anything you don't like. How could they ever know? I didn't report 2 schools I previously attended. I even left out classes I got bad grades in on my AMCAS and they didn't even add them after I sent in my transcripts. Thats why all the applicants GPAs are so high. I can't believe no one told you this before.

Never reported to HS either. There was no point...I wouldn't have gotten credit for them.

My GPA is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I took classes in HS @ local community college that I did not do so well in...

What is the likelihood I can get caught and blackballed by AMCAAS if don't report a transcript? Do they do thorough background checks? What about the respective med-schools? Can they find out later on in the process? if so, how?

Well, there are two considerations here: one ethical, the other a matter of policy. The policy is that all post-secondary course work must be listed and respective transcripts delivered to AAMC for verification (later, whichever medical school you matriculate into, will ask for these same transcripts as well, for verification purposes). If this course work falls into that category (check to see if it actually needs to be reported), you must report it. The ethics of the matter are clear; it would be unethical to omit the information, whether the people or institutions of interest are able to easily discover the omission or not (and there are most definitely ways to discover your omission).

The consequences are dire. If your conscience doesn't bother you, consider the ramifications to your career. You could be expelled from medical school, if it is discovered that you omitted the information. If you manage to get past that stage, if it is discovered later by a state medical board, or worse, by a malpractice lawyer, you can kiss your career goodbye.

Don't take the risk. If it needs to be reported, report it.

I have 2 community college classes from high school as well, ironically the same grades a C and a D. I just ordered that transcript to be sent to AMCAS.

Those two courses (from high school) drag my BCPM GPA down from a 4.0 to a 3.78 and my overall GPA from a 3.80 to a 3.60.

But I wouldn't dare "forget" to report it as you suggest.... whats done is done. I wouldn't be unethical and try to hide it.

Was your HS informed? Did you get HS credit for them?

Did you happen to do your undergrad at a college connected to the CC?

Are you sure that the record of this CC attendance has never been reported anywhere?

Im not 100% sure that it has not been reported anywhere else. I didn't know med-schools did that thorough of a background check.

I mean, what if someone moves states completely and starts a brand new academic career...how the heck would you follow that?

The idea was suggested by a friend that did it with TWO CC transcripts with far more grades and got in to a top 25 med school.

I didn't know it was that big of a deal. ill probably just report them...

my science GPA is going to take a hit though...damn hs counselors.

:-/

The OP knows about this site: http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/ where colleges and employers can do searches and verify your college enrollments...

The OP knows about this website because she started a thread last year asking about her "arrogant" friend who boasted he was not going to report his bad CC grades to AMCAS...and somebody else posted this website in response...

Just check out the OP's profile and scroll to her very first post...

Troll.

The OP knows about this site: http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/ where colleges and employers can do searches and verify your college enrollments...

The OP knows about this website because she started a thread last year asking about her "arrogant" friend who boasted he was not going to report his bad CC grades to AMCAS...and somebody else posted this website in response...

Troll.

Good call. I didn't bother checking her post history.

Troll.

Huh?

That was the guy I just said got into a top 25 med-school.

people on this site are way too anal.

Troll.
Nice job :thumbup:

I don't understand why you would risk something like this?

Will you take the same risk not reporting an error you make that could affect a patient's life several years down the line?

Something to think about....

Troll.

calm down:laugh: i dont know why the poster cant ask a question and get the opinions of others who did not read the first posting anyway.

Relax mandarin...not reporting two grades from hs and not reposting an error regarding a patients life are two big differences.

calm down:laugh: i dont know why the poster cant ask a question and get the opinions of others who did not read the first posting anyway.

I am not "Trolling" anything. My first post was about a friend and I posted on this thread that he got into a top 25 medschool. I don't understand what the big deal is...

anyhow, thanks for the help

Relax mandarin...not reporting two grades from hs and not reposting an error regarding a patients life are two big differences.

Actually, I would argue that they are ethically equivalent.

Actually, I would argue that they are ethically equivalent.

Well, I was completely on board with you until you said that. I understand the argument you are trying to make. However, in one case it is really your future CAREER your jeopardizing and in the another your jeopardizing someones life. I understand that morals in any situation are important, but I feel like there is a difference about calculated risk. If the OP decides to risk her it, its her life and she will have to be the one to pay the consequences (not anyone else).

I am not "Trolling" anything. My first post was about a friend and I posted on this thread that he got into a top 25 medschool. I don't understand what the big deal is...

anyhow, thanks for the help

And this is the problem, toots - lying is a big deal. Cheating is a big deal. Lying on your AMCAS app is a REALLY big deal - the sanctions for getting caught are quite severe - bye bye med school.

You didn't come here to find out if it is OK to do this - you already know that it is not. You were hoping to find reassurance from fellow liars that it is easy to get away with it...

Well, this is what you wanted to know: my guess is that chances are you won't get caught. But I don't understand people like you who can't just do the honest thing in the first place...

On second thought, I do understand people like you...and people like you make me sick.

Well, I was completely on board with you until you said that. I understand the argument you are trying to make. However, in one case it is really your future CAREER your jeopardizing and in the another your jeopardizing someones life. I understand that morals in any situation are important, but I feel like there is a difference about calculated risk. If the OP decides to risk her it, its her life and she will have to be the one to pay the consequences (not anyone else).

Yeah, perhaps it's a bit of a stretch and the two scenarios may have different sequelae, but it's never just a matter of yourself in a bubble. You don't think other people, particularly your primary family members and your patients (present and future), will suffer the consequences of your actions, if you were to lose your license to practice medicine because of some stupid choice you made 10 or more years ago?

Morals have nothing to do with it. It's not about how I feel personally. It's about the ethics of the conscious omission of necessary and/or required information, especially after being counseled out it. If a person feels that they can omit something just because they feel like it, to advance their own needs, then, yeah, it worries me plenty. It isn't that much further to omit or fudge a few numbers here and there. I've seen it.

Anyway, I didn't intend on appearing "high and mighty" about it. None of us are without faults and all of us make mistakes... But to continue onward with an action knowing that it is wrong... Well...

Let's steer clear of personal insults and keep the thread helpful and informative.

OP, you DO have to report them and have a transcript sent. The ramifications of not doing it can be much worse than a ding in your GPA would be.

The way that the report from AMCAS shows your grades will clearly show that those classes were taken while you were still in high school. They will show up in a separate category of the year-by-year breakdown. Dual-enrollees frequently don't do as well during those high school years as they do after they have matured a bit. The adcomms know that, and the fact that they were taken while in high school does come into consideration.

Playing a game & pretending that transcript doesn't exist can come back to bite you harder than a few low grades in high school. It can bring up a question of your integrity. That's something you definitely DON'T want to happen.

well then you are an idiot aren't you?

Actually, no, not is this regard. I didn't consciously place myself, my family, my future patients, etc., in potential jeopardy, by omitting required transcript information on my AMCAS application... Think about it. Who is making the mistake, the error in judgment, here?

The reality is that, on average, people who lie aren’t smart enough or disciplined enough to compete against those that don’t so they play the only card they have, a moral flexibility or lack of core ethics. Honestly it must be pretty humiliating to know you’re below the level of the other people. When you hear people say they’re just as good as anyone else you know, in reality, you’re not. You’re someone that got in the door but doesn't really belong there.

If you feel that a willingness to lie and cheat is an admirable character trait then I guess you have to use it if your other faculties come up lacking compared to peers you wish you were a part of.

Maybe I have an ego problem or something but I just couldn’t stand the idea that I wasn’t on the same level with the other people and had to lie to be included. Wouldn’t that make you feel like a loser?

My personal read on the lack of morality is that it’s just a continuance of Spoiled Children Syndrome where they have to get their way and if they don’t they have a tantrum and lie or do whatever they need to in order to get it. Realistically they probably don’t make good physicians since they can’t deal with pressure and opt for deceit as an escape vehicle when something doesn’t go their way. I hear stories from my wife, a hospital pharmacist, about physicians like this that get caught making stupid mistakes and blatantly lie, trying to blame their mistakes on everyone and everything under the sun but themselves, even when everyone else clearly sees it’s them. I guess you can hope to be one of those guys if you sleaze your way past door.

And this is the problem, toots - lying is a big deal. Cheating is a big deal. Lying on your AMCAS app is a REALLY big deal - the sanctions for getting caught are quite severe - bye bye med school.

You didn't come here to find out if it is OK to do this - you already know that it is not. You were hoping to find reassurance from fellow liars that it is easy to get away with it...

Well, this is what you wanted to know: my guess is that chances are you won't get caught. But I don't understand people like you who can't just do the honest thing in the first place...

On second thought, I do understand people like you...and people like you make me sick.

they can take away your license to practice medicine after you've graduated med-school because of an omission of two grades from undergrad or prior to?

i really really doubt that.

i think sending the CC transcript, despite the terrible grades, shows character... maybe adcoms will give you some bonus points?!:D

jk, but yea its the right thing to do.. and believe it or not, it's also the smart thing to do (given that there's still a chance of being caught), though it may seem not seem prudent for your gpa. better safe than sorry.

also, is it possible for CC transcripts to expire or something of that nature? do they get rid of transcripts?

they can take away your license to practice medicine after you've graduated med-school because of an omission of two grades from undergrad or prior to?

i tried to google this but i didnt see anything.. but i did hear a story of something similar.. someone chose not to send CC transcripts with bad grades.. medical school found out and revoked the degree on charges of academic dishonesty..

You really are clueless.

They absolutely can and will revoke your MD degree for egregious lies on your app, hiding other kinds of info in your app (cheating sanctions in college, criminal convictions, etc) cheating in med school...and they will come after you long after you graduate to rain on your parade...

Go ahead, make our day...cheat and live to tell us about it, please?

Do you know what the worst lies are? The ones we tell ourselves. Go ahead and omit the information if you think it's the right decision. I don't personally care what you do. You do realize that I have nothing at stake here. Just trying to be helpful, like I would want others to do with me, if I were about to make an egregious lapse in judgment.

I wonder what happens if someone honestly didn't remember that they took a class or two back in HS and thus did not report it?

I wonder what happens if someone honestly didn't remember that they took a class or two back in HS and thus did not report it?

Then you are obligated to provide the information when you find out the error. Honestly, is it even possible to forget such a thing? I'm probably older than most of you guys here and I remember all the places where I took classes.

I am sure that happens, especially to older nontrads who have put some time and distance between themselves and their pre-college years...and I assume it gets sorted out.

But if you conveniently forget a "C" and a "D" in BCPM course work, and these happened just 4 years ago, well, umm, I think you have a credibility problem...

The reality is that, on average, people who lie aren’t smart enough or disciplined enough to compete against those that don’t so they play the only card they have, a moral flexibility or lack of core ethics. Honestly it must be pretty humiliating to know you’re below the level of the other people. When you hear people say they’re just as good as anyone else you know, in reality, you’re not. You’re someone that got in the door but doesn't really belong there.

If you feel that a willingness to lie and cheat is an admirable character trait then I guess you have to use it if your other faculties come up lacking compared to peers you wish you were a part of.

Maybe I have an ego problem or something but I just couldn’t stand the idea that I wasn’t on the same level with the other people and had to lie to be included. Wouldn’t that make you feel like a loser?

My personal read on the lack of morality is that it’s just a continuance of Spoiled Children Syndrome where they have to get their way and if they don’t they have a tantrum and lie or do whatever they need to in order to get it. Realistically they probably don’t make good physicians since they can’t deal with pressure and opt for deceit as an escape vehicle when something doesn’t go their way. I hear stories from my wife, a hospital pharmacist, about physicians like this that get caught making stupid mistakes and blatantly lie, trying to blame their mistakes on everyone and everything under the sun but themselves, even when everyone else clearly sees it’s them. I guess you can hope to be one of those guys if you sleaze your way past door.

i don't see why you guys are getting so worked up about this... if she wants to cheat, she's going to cheat... personal attacks are kind of childish here. this is life... i'm sure people do this all the time. it's not right, and i'm not saying things like this should be overlooked, but it doesn't merit personal attacks.

and OP
the right thing to do here is obvious. a letter to explain why/how you got those poor grades may go a long way in dealing with this blow to your gpa.

im sure it happens. some schools offer (or mandate) random CC courses. im sure if a school never sends students two transcripts (or a transcript and a progress report/ report card) students may go on to college and forget about those classes (especially if their college does not accept those CC courses for college credit)

i don't see why you guys are getting so worked up about this... if she wants to cheat, she's going to cheat... personal attacks are kind of childish here. this is life... i'm sure people do this all the time. it's not right, and i'm not saying things like this should be overlooked, but it doesn't merit personal attacks.

and OP
the right thing to do here is obvious. a letter to explain why/how you got those poor grades may go a long way in dealing with this blow to your gpa.

What personal attack did I make? I said people like her make me sick, and that she was clueless - that is it - that is not a personal attack in my book.

In fact, the only personal attack of note on this thread was made by the OP - she called somebody an idiot - now that, my friend, is a personal attack.

I am not worked up about anything either, chief. Just calling a spade a spade...

my science GPA is going to take a hit though...damn hs counselors.

:-/

Ok, if your high school knew about it, that's good enough. You need to report it. Besides, you earn your grades. Your counselors didn't take the exams for you, you did it. Plenty of people take college credit in high school and do great.

The point is that mistakes happen and errors do occur. However, if you go foward with an action knowing it is wrong, such as consciously omitting pertinent and/or required information, then that is a different game.

What personal attack did I make? I said people like her make me sick, and that she was clueless - that is it - that is not a personal attack in my book.

In fact, the only personal attack of note on this thread was made by the OP - she called somebody an idiot - now that, my friend, is a personal attack.

I am not worked up about anything either, chief. Just calling a spade a spade...

id consider those personal attacks (calling her a liar? defamation of character... she hasn't done anything yet, has she?). and yes it seemed to me like you were getting agitated over something you really have no control over. we all know what's the right (and legit) thing to do here, no need to insult anyone. :thumbdown:

haha, to be fair she did call someone an idiot but as the old maxim goes, two wrongs don't make a right..

TO OP:

I'm not sure if you know this, but grades prior to high school graduation DO NOT get calculated into your GPA.

I did an early admissions program into college where my first year of college basically counted as my last year of high school as well, and I graduated high school after my freshman year of college. My freshman year grades were not calculated into my amcas GPA, even though I was in every way a normal college student. If you retook the classes, I doubt medical schools will mind the grades themselves, the only risk is with the GPA. Contact AMCAS and ask.

DON'T RISK IT (disregard my earlier joke)!

Actually, no, not is this regard. I didn't consciously place myself, my family, my future patients, etc., in potential jeopardy, by omitting required transcript information on my AMCAS application... Think about it. Who is making the mistake, the error in judgment, here?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Are you this disposed towards histrionics in real life too?

What nonsense. If the medical schools don't see it, nobody else will ever search back into her academic record and AMCAS application.

I think it's too bad that grades will follow you - even if you don't use them for your degree. I took a year and a half of community college 11 years ago(did not finish the degree), the credits have expired, and so don't even count to my current degree program. If they are so old that the credits are expired, and you did not get a degree from them, AMCAS sould disregard them IMHO. But Given the rules, I will report them anyways even with my 3 Ds and 3 W/Ds

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Are you this disposed towards histrionics in real life too?

What nonsense. If the medical schools don't see it, nobody else will ever search back into her academic record and AMCAS application.

So you are saying that ethics don't ever matter, as long as nobody can find out. Right. That's a great selling point for a future physician, or any human being for that matter. There's something very wrong with that mode of thinking. It demonstrates a depravity of spirit and self-respect that paves the way for many of the significant problems that we face today. As Einstein once said, and I paraphrase, "you can't solve a problem in the same state in which the problem exists."

Maybe I'm from an older generation (the one that your adcoms are likely to be from), but the way I see it, integrity isn't a matter of degrees, or whether you are going to get "caught" for your actions. Either you are in it, or you are not. Integrity doesn't run along a continuum. And matters of integrity are always serious; there's no such thing as a small lapse.

Just because you think there are no consequences and that you can't be caught, doesn't make the action the ethically correct choice to make. As a note, every action has a consequence, whether you can forsee it, or not, or whether it is even immediately palpable to your senses.