Not sending an MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tport

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am finishing up my application and I decided to re-take my MCAT to try to raise my score (bad idea!). My score ended up dropping on the last test I took. I know we have to tell the reporting system to send the scores to AACOMAS. What happens if you don't send the score? Do the osteo schools still get the scores on their own? I guess I just wish I didn't have to tell the school that my score dropped. What happens if you don't report it?

Members don't see this ad.

Who knows...I doubt youd pull that off. Besides..dont you want to know you were accepted to medical school on your own accord and with your own accomplishments? I like knowing I can post whatever the hell I want on this website about my life and stats and dont have to risk my acceptance on it. Besides...you want to be a doctor. Dont you want to be as ethical as possible?

BTW I highly doubt fellow applicants on SDN would be happy with you doing this. So send your lower score too...I doubt it will matter anyway if it wasnt a huge drop...and some schools will do a composite score anyway.

Thanks Willen,
I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to be unethical.... of course I would be honest and you're totally right that I should be accepted based on my total accomplishments. I guess I was just curious and wishfully thinking that my drop in scores would somehow disappear (it dropped by 4 points... yikes!!!) :). I hope they'll do a composite.... I guess there's only one way to find out!

Members don't see this ad :)
a 4 point drop isnt that bad. I'd report it just to be sure and have peace of mind. They usually take the higher score. The only thing that would happen is it might come up as a question during an interview.. but I don't think it will affect your acceptance as long as you're positive and mature about answering. :thumbup:

a 4 point drop isnt that bad.

4 points is about 2 standard deviations on the MCAT. I suppose 2 standard deviations isn't "bad," but if we were talking about human height it would mean about 5 inches, if we were talking about IQ it would be about 30 points, on an SAT exam it would be around 200 points. I suppose how bad it is depends on how far from the mean you are to begin with.

i would send it.....as for me (you can see what is happening to me in the other thread, sigh) i think it would be worse to not send it only to have them accept you and rescind based on not submitting......i didn't realize that my scores weren't sent (1 included a 4-point drop as well) and quickly sent them to cover all bases.....it is not worth the anxiety of not knowing if they will find it or not imo

please do not listen to all the people on here telling you to send the scores....

they're nuts! AACOMAS does not upload scores automatically, they will never know. you are only shooting yourself in the foot and it could potentially cost you admission. The MCAT is a BS enough, don't let it keep you out of medical school.

please do not listen to all the people on here telling you to send the scores....

they're nuts! AACOMAS does not upload scores automatically, they will never know. you are only shooting yourself in the foot and it could potentially cost you admission. The MCAT is a BS enough, don't let it keep you out of medical school.

they will never know? these schools can find out anything they want on you, don't kid yourself....this is like saying make up an extracurricular bc "they will never check/never know"....sure there might be a chance that they don't look into it, but there is also the chance they will, and if you ask me, that risk is just not worth it

op, in the end it is your decision, but is it worth the anxiety of not knowing.....also, you could always anonymously call the school and ask about mcat policies....after all, many schools will look at the highest score anyways

they will never know? these schools can find out anything they want on you, don't kid yourself....this is like saying make up an extracurricular bc "they will never check/never know"....sure there might be a chance that they don't look into it, but there is also the chance they will, and if you ask me, that risk is just not worth it

op, in the end it is your decision, but is it worth the anxiety of not knowing.....also, you could always anonymously call the school and ask about mcat policies....after all, many schools will look at the highest score anyways

Not to mention that its not ethical. And if you dont report it...I really hope you get caught. It sucks you got a lower score...it really does...but you decided to retake the MCAT...so its in your hands. These type of threads piss me off. Take the situation here: lets say you get charged with academic dishonesty...you know you didnt do anything wrong...but as part of their investigation of your character they find your other undisclosed MCAT score. There goes your acceptance to that school...and all the cash you had to shell out up until that point. NOT WORTH IT

In these days and times, all your information is connected in one way or another. Let's say you don't report this second MCAT score and you're able to hide it pretty well--until your senior year when the Dean tells you to get the hell out. Or how about residency? No one component of your application is an end all. If this is such an ethical dilemma for you, I'm not sure this is the right profession for you.

The last three posts are nothing more than unfounded speculation. I could say that the world will end in two days and you will not survive past then, that's just as likely as your medical school requesting your MCAT scores be resent when applying to residencies. :rolleyes:

Most medical schools take your most recent scores, only a handful take your best, not sure what DO schools do in general. Life is not fair and the admissions process certainly isnt, do what you can to get yourself in...you're not hurting anyone.

Unfounded sure. But like ive mentioned before on this forum, I have a masters in forensics...and I know a great deal about how discoverable information is. Not worth getting busted.