Not signing up for NRMP before applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys are probably going to laugh at me. :)

I am a Navy guy...done with my Internship...now in the Fleet serving as a Flight Surgeon. I am participating in the civilian match this year in anticipation of possibly getting out of the Navy. I signed up for ERAS, applied to all my programs. I selected that I was participating in NRMP but not NMS. But I never signed up for NRMP nor paid the fee. I didn't know that ERAS and NRMP were different companies.

I have been invited to four interviews thus far without any problems...until today.

I was notified by a program coordinator who very graciously notified me that I had to sign up with NRMP before the program was able to offer me an interview, which it intends to do. Knowing this, I immediately signed up and paid the fee for NRMP.

My question is whether or not I have may have been passed over for interviews for not being signed up for NRMP...especially by busy, less-gracious program coordinators. Should I email program coordinators which I have applied or not sweat it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You guys are probably going to laugh at me. :)

I am a Navy guy...done with my Internship...now in the Fleet serving as a Flight Surgeon. I am participating in the civilian match this year in anticipation of possibly getting out of the Navy. I signed up for ERAS, applied to all my programs. I selected that I was participating in NRMP but not NMS. But I never signed up for NRMP nor paid the fee. I didn't know that ERAS and NRMP were different companies.

I have been invited to four interviews thus far without any problems...until today.

I was notified by a program coordinator who very graciously notified me that I had to sign up with NRMP before the program was able to offer me an interview, which it intends to do. Knowing this, I immediately signed up and paid the fee for NRMP.

My question is whether or not I have may have been passed over for interviews for not being signed up for NRMP...especially by busy, less-gracious program coordinators. Should I email program coordinators which I have applied or not sweat it.

Thanks!
It really doesn't matter. The NRMP and ERAS are quite different and I have no idea why a PC would care, given that the ranking system in the NRMP isn't even open yet. The only thing you should do regarding the NRMP is sign up before november because otherwise there's a late fee.

Reactions: 1 user
For a DO, I can see a PC wanting to know if the applicant was even going to be in the relevant match. If I were an allo program and unsure if a DO would still be in the Match after the DO match, I might not bother to interview them.

For a DO, I can see a PC wanting to know if the applicant was even going to be in the relevant match. If I were an allo program and unsure if a DO would still be in the Match after the DO match, I might not bother to interview them.

I am a DO...but wouldn't selecting "Not participating in NMS" give PDs a clear indication that I will be available to match?

It really doesn't matter. The NRMP and ERAS are quite different and I have no idea why a PC would care, given that the ranking system in the NRMP isn't even open yet. The only thing you should do regarding the NRMP is sign up before november because otherwise there's a late fee.

This is what I am leaning toward. It would suck to be passed over for not being signed up for NRMP, but I don't know if it is important enough to hassle PCs over.

I am a DO...but wouldn't selecting "Not participating in NMS" give PDs a clear indication that I will be available to match?
Not necessarily. You're still a pre-match wildcard. And I don't recall from the apps I've reviewed if your NMS status is available to ACGME programs. In any case, you're way too wound up about this.

Not necessarily. You're still a pre-match wildcard. And I don't recall from the apps I've reviewed if your NMS status is available to ACGME programs. In any case, you're way too wound up about this.

No sweat. Thanks for the reply!