Apr 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Status
Pre-Medical
I did my undergraduate BA in English Teaching and finished about 2 years ago with a 3.28 cGPA, but have since decided to go back to school to fulfill my dream of becoming a physician.

As it stands now, I have a GPA in my post bac program of a 4.0. By the time my post bac is all said and done, my cGPA (per the AAMC gpa calculator) will be a 3.48-ish and my BPCM GPA a 3.8+.

With this strong upward trend of a 3.9-4 on my pre reqs in post bac, will some schools overlook my original 3.28 in my English degree?

My ECs are decent, and I'm not at the point of taking MCATs yet, but just based on these numbers alone, does anyone have any thoughts?

Have any post-bac-ers had an experience where too few credits after the fact failed to raise your GPA up enough, in spite of great grades in post bac, but got into a med school anyway?

I guess my question is whether or not anyone has any experience with schools taking post bac into greater consideration than your original GPA.

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
I did my undergraduate BA in English Teaching and finished about 2 years ago with a 3.28 cGPA, but have since decided to go back to school to fulfill my dream of becoming a physician.

As it stands now, I have a GPA in my post bac program of a 4.0. By the time my post bac is all said and done, my cGPA (per the AAMC gpa calculator) will be a 3.48-ish and my BPCM GPA a 3.8+.

With this strong upward trend of a 3.9-4 on my pre reqs in post bac, will some schools overlook my original 3.28 in my English degree?

My ECs are decent, and I'm not at the point of taking MCATs yet, but just based on these numbers alone, does anyone have any thoughts?

Have any post-bac-ers had an experience where too few credits after the fact failed to raise your GPA up enough, in spite of great grades in post bac, but got into a med school anyway?

I guess my question is whether or not anyone has any experience with schools taking post bac into greater consideration than your original GPA.
I'm not giving any concrete advice here, so take what I say accordingly.

You should not worry too much, do some good EC's and apply. Also do well on the MCAT. You've got a great upward trend, you've shown your competency in science, and as far as I can tell your stats show you to be a very qualified applicant.

Most schools will probably give you a look, and I'd wager you get in somewhere relatively easily. The science GPA is one of the most important parts, you'll be perfect (or nearly perfect) there. Just go for it.

SLC

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Your cumulative numbers (and MCAT) will be what get you to the eyeballs that can notice your strong upward trend. 3.48 is below average, but really not bad, and it's certainly above auto cutoffs. IMHO if your MCAT score is above average (32+) and you are a generally compelling candidate, you're good to go.

So I say focus on the MCAT and on presentation.

Best of luck to you.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Your cumulative numbers (and MCAT) will be what get you to the eyeballs that can notice your strong upward trend. 3.48 is below average, but really not bad, and it's certainly above auto cutoffs. IMHO if your MCAT score is above average (32+) and you are a generally compelling candidate, you're good to go.

So I say focus on the MCAT and on presentation.

Best of luck to you.
Just to augment what she said.

You not out of the woods yet. Despite heading in the perfect direction. You're still in the range where you'll need to be application-savvy. And modest MCAT achievements against your competition is no small feat.

Application savvy is an intuitive process. In which operates some unseen ecological principle.

Some of us will be the guy with the sh!tty one-liners. Double clicking the fake pistols. Winking. "Heeyyy...."

Some of us will just eat it and not get laid.

Others will be slipping out the back and across town. Smooth as silk.

The difference I think can be in connecting. With readers and interviewers. Across the application process. The roots of which is everything you've done. Everything you're doing now. And what is you choose to communicate about that.

SDN'er Doctor School calls it "momentum." She or He asks: Are you inspired? Do the people around you feel something special such that they want to say something strong on your behalf?

Doctor School also points at thinking about fit. In how you fine tune your approach to each school. As you would each individual lady you desire. How do you match the style and thrust of your application to a particular school. Serving also to economize your game. I aint wasted no money on drinks for a girl who I can tell in 2 seconds doesn't dig me the least bit. And so on.

These seal the deal. And give you the chance to equalize and overtake the disparity between you and the norm.

But you're doing great so far in improving your position.

mooshika

Removed
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
...by the analogy between applying to med school and picking up women in bars.

Like I said, there is something vaguely adolescent about this whole process.

moo

PS I am a smokin' hot girl at the bar with a 3.01 cGPA. Thanks to the fact that my wonderful private undergrad uses a strange credit system that has to be converted to "hours" I loose out in the process due to inflation. Despite a decent showing in the post bac and second bachelors, it would take me another 40-50 credits to pull up that original 2.75 to something closer to my second bachelors GPA of 3.7. So, I need to make sure I look not just my usual smokin' hotness but also dang classy-ass if I want a long-term relationship and not just a one night stand. Thankfully, my MCAT will hopefully save me from picking up money off the dresser... But, I might need to buy the drinks. lol.

ruiner

5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

You'll be fine, I have almost the same story only with a lower original GPA and I'm in this year. Just do decent on the MCAT.

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
If you apply BROADLY and have a well-rounded application, it won't be your GPA that keeps you out of med school. You're doing fine.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a meeting after I was rejected pre-secondary with the dean of my local mid-tier med school. He told me I was two (2) credits shy of his cut off for having him consider my post-bacc separate from my undergraduate GPA. This meeting was around Thanksgiving last year. He suggested that if I signed up for a two credit course and reported my grades in December, he would re-consider me for a secondary application in January.

In reality, my cumulative GPA was circled on my application in red on his desk in front of me. He admitted he hadn't personally reviewed my application before our meeting. I am all but convinced they declined to give me a secondary because of how low it looks on paper.

Indeed, I was 'screened-out' based on my overall GPA. So yes, for that particular school my post-bacc failed to raise my GPA significantly enough to overcome their screening criteria.

I would say "Absolutely!". I personally have experienced the 'extremes' of possible outcomes in the application process and everything in between. From the above example to getting a full-tuition Dean scholarship at Ohio State or the automatic full tuition and fees scholarship at Cleveland Clinic.

One reasonable explanation for the great disparities in outcomes (assuming substantially equivalent essays, stats, interviewing skills, etc.) could be the degree to which each program values post-bacc work.

mooshika

Removed
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, absolutely this is a significant issue for many NT's and few pre-med advisors are savvy enough to inform us of the fact that if your cGPA falls anywhere below 3.0 or even 3.2 in some cases, depending on your MCAT score, you will be automatically screened out pre-secondary, or for some schools, after they get your $100 bucks and a completed 10 page secondary application that they will never read... (yes I'm bitter... lol)

This happened to me because I didn't screen my AMCAS GPA calculation. Once I did, the cGPA was above 3.0, and this year had no problems, got interviews at all schools where I did secondaries. All two of them. (Only applied to two)

But yeah, be proactive with this, and if your GPA boosting grades don't come out till after June 1 (when you all will be submitting your AAMCAS this year) be SURE to contact the admissions office and make them aware of this - to hold your app till they get the grades that could save your ass.

Moo

I had a meeting after I was rejected pre-secondary with the dean of my local mid-tier med school. He told me I was two (2) credits shy of his cut off for having him consider my post-bacc separate from my undergraduate GPA. This meeting was around Thanksgiving last year. He suggested that if I signed up for a two credit course and reported my grades in December, he would re-consider me for a secondary application in January.

In reality, my cumulative GPA was circled on my application in red on his desk in front of me. He admitted he hadn't personally reviewed my application before our meeting. I am all but convinced they declined to give me a secondary because of how low it looks on paper.

Indeed, I was 'screened-out' based on my overall GPA. So yes, for that particular school my post-bacc failed to raise my GPA significantly enough to overcome their screening criteria.

I would say "Absolutely!". I personally have experienced the 'extremes' of possible outcomes in the application process and everything in between. From the above example to getting a full-tuition Dean scholarship at Ohio State or the automatic full tuition and fees scholarship at Cleveland Clinic.

One reasonable explanation for the great disparities in outcomes (assuming substantially equivalent essays, stats, interviewing skills, etc.) could be the degree to which each program values post-bacc work.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Care to share how many credits that he claimed the cutoff was set at? Interested minds would like to know... We've talked in other threads and I have a similar low-GPA to stellar post-bac story.
No problem, Anon,

I'm pretty much an open book (and invite anybody to PM me if they have yearning-burning questions).

But the reason I did not mention it is because I feel his cuttoff was probably set at 2 more credits than what I had REGARDLESS of what it was. Understand? He was shooting from the hip during our scheduled meeting, like I mentioned. I was screened out. No red pen on his desk while he was talking (I actively searched). Somebody else circled my GPA. He was trying to save face.

I had 18 credits over two semesters, which does not sound like very many. His cuttoff was thus 20. :oops: They were all 400 level biology courses, btw. I had technically all of my pre-med prereqs finished a long time ago. Note too that I have a heavy undergraduate background in science and engineering. I had a four-year full-tuition scholarship as an undergrad to Michigan. I took the maximum number of credits many semesters as an undergrad b/c nobody stopped me - I ended up in 500 and 600 level engineering courses towards the end and have almost no NON-science and NON-engineering courses. So 18 credits barely moved my undergrad overall or science GPA.

Jlaw

7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ha sounds like I will have the same problem. Degree in finance with ~3.0cGPA, good EC's, a good story, and great performance at post bacc. I'm going to try to crush the MCATs and hope that a combo good MCAT/good sGPA will be sufficient. I'll also be looking at DO programs where my sGPA will be above average and a 3.2-3.4cGPA will be about average.

I think that with your numbers and a decent MCAT you should be fairly competetive for MD and probably a sure thing for a spot in a DO program. Good luck.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ha sounds like I will have the same problem. Degree in finance with ~3.0cGPA, good EC's, a good story, and great performance at post bacc. I'm going to try to crush the MCATs and hope that a combo good MCAT/good sGPA will be sufficient. I'll also be looking at DO programs where my sGPA will be above average and a 3.2-3.4cGPA will be about average.

I think that with your numbers and a decent MCAT you should be fairly competetive for MD and probably a sure thing for a spot in a DO program. Good luck.
There are few sure things in life and none in med school admissions.

riverjib

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2009
NY
Status
Pre-Medical

Sounds like you're in decent shape. My only question is this: most post-bacc programs offer matriculation to top students in the program. Why didn't yours? At worst, you'll have to do more to prove yourself, but I think that if you have good EC's and other experience with a great MCAT, you have a shot.