Not Stellar but Accepted into Pharm School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosco

Live Free or Die
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for those who got accepted into pharm school without the stellar GPA or PCAT score. What do you think was the factor(s) that was/were instrumental into getting in? I appreciate any comments regarding my question thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

They are pretty.
Just kidding!! :laugh:

Pharmacy experience is something that can set you apart from other applicants. Also, I would consider volunteering and becoming active is some sort of community service oriented endeavor if you haven't already.
Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
ButlerPharm.D. said:
Pharmacy experience is something that can set you apart from other applicants. Also, I would consider volunteering and becoming active is some sort of community service oriented endeavor if you haven't already.
Hope this helps.

There are really no opportunites around here for volunteering in a pharmacy. Maybe the hospital in general, but I believe that it would be clerking rather than working. This is good advice though. For myself, I will hope that what would be by then is maybe 6 years of pharm tech certification counting for something as well.

Get a part time job in a pharmacy (Publix, Target, Kroger... whatever is in your area). I think having 3 years of tech experienced helped my application and my interview as well.
Applying early was definitely key!
LORs from the right people (Organic Chem professor with whom I had 1 and 2, a Biology teacher and a pharmacist I'd worked with for 2.5 years).
Strong essay.
(I got into 3 schools with a 3.0 gpa and a 86 PCAT).

ndearwater said:
Get a part time job in a pharmacy (Publix, Target, Kroger... whatever is in your area). I think having 3 years of tech experienced helped my application and my interview as well.
Applying early was definitely key!
LORs from the right people (Organic Chem professor with whom I had 1 and 2, a Biology teacher and a pharmacist I'd worked with for 2.5 years).
Strong essay.
(I got into 3 schools with a 3.0 gpa and a 86 PCAT).

which schools did you get accepted? I am in a very similar situation except that I have 1 year of research experience and about 7 months of volunteering in a pharmacy experience?