1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Not Stellar but Accepted into Pharm School

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by mosco, Dec 8, 2005.

1. mosco

mosco Live Free or Die
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I have a question for those who got accepted into pharm school without the stellar GPA or PCAT score. What do you think was the factor(s) that was/were instrumental into getting in? I appreciate any comments regarding my question thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. usi

usi
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    They are pretty.
    Just kidding!! :laugh:

4. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Pharmacy experience is something that can set you apart from other applicants. Also, I would consider volunteering and becoming active is some sort of community service oriented endeavor if you haven't already.
    Hope this helps.

5. Poland

Poland As strong as me
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    There are really no opportunites around here for volunteering in a pharmacy. Maybe the hospital in general, but I believe that it would be clerking rather than working. This is good advice though. For myself, I will hope that what would be by then is maybe 6 years of pharm tech certification counting for something as well.

6. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Get a part time job in a pharmacy (Publix, Target, Kroger... whatever is in your area). I think having 3 years of tech experienced helped my application and my interview as well.
    Applying early was definitely key!
    LORs from the right people (Organic Chem professor with whom I had 1 and 2, a Biology teacher and a pharmacist I'd worked with for 2.5 years).
    Strong essay.
    (I got into 3 schools with a 3.0 gpa and a 86 PCAT).

7. bobby1987

bobby1987 Junior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    which schools did you get accepted? I am in a very similar situation except that I have 1 year of research experience and about 7 months of volunteering in a pharmacy experience?