Not sure how many schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horns2001

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a situation here where based on my subpar grades (2.9 ovrall and science GPA declining trend from lower division to upper division, my major was Molecular cell developmental biology at UCLA and was extremely competitive). I haventthe DAT's yet but am scheduled to take it Aug. 30th. Based on my grades I have narrowed my choice to 13 schools where I have the best chance of acceptance. Should I just apply to all of these schools (alot of $), eventho I dont know how well I will do on the DAT or just limit to just say 5 or 6 schools?what would you all recommend?I have my 3 letters of rec ready, my application is almost complete,just need to touch up on the essay,I have some shadowing experience, I just pray i get in somewhere-thanx for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Wassup Horns,

I also had sub-par GPA like you did. However, I really kicked ass on the DAT. As a result, I got into some of the top notch schools that I thought I wouldnt have gotten into.

How the heck does this tie in to you, you ask? Well.......my advice is to prove to the admission people that you have what it takes to be a dentist by kicking some ass on the DAT. I am sure that they will realize that you are from a fairly competitive school (UCLA) so they will take into consideration why your GPA is a tad low.

I get the feeling that you are somewhat limited financially. I really think that you shouldnt let this hinder you from applying to ALL the schools that you think you have a fair chance with.

GOOD LUCK!

You never know what's going to happen.... Just wanted to post an encouraging thought....

Apply to as much schools as you can afford, you never know if that one school you didn't apply to would have been the school that would have accepted you....

Choose wisely.... Good luck :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah....

WELCOME TO SDN!!! :D

I would agree popoy. Get all of your application material in ASAP too. That way, you improve your opportunity to coordinate travel plans for interviews which can also help keep your costs down.

I just want to thank everyone for posting all of your experiences for everyone to see. It's very good to see that pre-dental students are pulling for everyone to achieve their goals. After a disastrous couple of years in my personal and academic life I just about gave up on dental school. However, I have refocused my life to pursue my dream of becoming a dentist. I have taken the DAT once and did really well except of my bio section. If not for that I think I would have gotten 20 or 21 in the sciences.