Not sure how to proceed after retaking the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdhuang10

Reaction score
In 2018, I took the MCAT for the first time and got a 508 (126/128/127/127). I applied that cycle and did not receive an interview invitation from any of the schools. Since then, I started a master's program in medical science at Boston University and just retook the MCAT. My new score is 509 (124/128/129/128). I'm relieved that I didn't get a lower score than my previous MCAT, but I'm very concerned about how my chemistry score dropped by 2 points. I'm not sure how I should proceed with applications this cycle and would really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply broadly to both MD and DO schools. A 508/509 MCAT makes you competitive for DO, and just slightly below the average for MD. Be sure to do your research and make a smart school list for MD.

As for how to address your score, don't. Unless the school has a specific area in its secondary for you to explain any discrepancies in your app, there's no reason for you to even mention the C/P drop.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Well, your MCAT score basically didn't change that much. What have you been doing since the 2019 application cycle to improve your application? Have you contacted any of the admissions offices that rejected you to ask what you could do better to improve your chance? Based on your username, I am assuming you're asian, so you really need to have a memorable application whether it's through a good life story or an amazing EC or both.

This depends a whole lot on your goals and what you want your life to look like. You need to determine what schools you'd like to apply to, if you'd be willing to go the DO route, if your application as a whole is competitive, etc. Depending on the schools you decide to apply to, it may be another rough cycle with a 509 since that is on the lower end of most MD ranges. Also, some schools will flag or screen you out for a score below 125 on an individual section. So do research on the school's process and procedures for sure before dumping money into that good ol' AMCAS pit.

Your state of residence will play a big role here. If you are a MA or CA resident, they have a crazy high mean MCAT score and make a chance of an admission a long shot. If you're a resident of WV or NM, they have pretty low mean MCAT scores and you would be above the mean and have a good chance.