Not sure how to proceed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted919212

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your overall GPA from undergrad is very low, but you were smart enough to reinvent yourself. Your URM status will help. Sounds like you had a general upswing in your UG grades, with your post-bac. You have a lot of healthcare employment experience and volunteering. Though it is always better to have high grades at SMP, a 3.5-3.6 is not on its own a lethal blow, again since It is an improvement over your UG GPA. You need to take the MCAT and get a very good score and you need to make sure that you can write about your experiences in a positive and compelling manner. You will need to knock socks off during interviews. Get a school list from GORO, including DO schools. Do not waste your money on OOS places that take mostly IS people. Do not waster your money on too many reach schools. Include HBCU's.

Without your MCAT however, we are not able to give you much more information about specific schools.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m doing a SMP right now that will be ending soon. I have a 3.5/3.6 gpa. My undergrad cgpa was a 3.0 including the post bac I did after of a 4.0 (22 credits) for a year. Have to take the Mcat. Have 5k+ of healthcare employment experience and 400 of volunteering. URM. However recently I heard if you don’t have a 3.8 at least in the SMP you shouldn’t bother. Not sure what to do.
Without an MCAT score, it's close to impossible to advise.

My rule of thumb is that MD schools want to see reinvention have a 3.7+ GPA, based upon the input from successful SDNers who went down this road.

You are fine for DO, and probably your state schools, and some mission-based schools as well.

What ethnicity are you? That may or may not change the equation.