Not sure I can trust this website for a volunteer experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

presentsofeternity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Longtime lurker here that made an account because I'm unsure of what to do. I'm really interested in the field of psychiatry and really want to volunteer for a crisis hotline during my undergraduate studies. I tried searching for any opportunities near my area (I go to UCSD) but I couldn't find any really nearby. After searching online I found this website called imalive.org, which helps people who are in crisis through an online chat service instead of a phone call. I thought great, this fits me perfectly as it can be done online, but looking more into the website I discovered that that operating hours are only 7-10:30 pm and that the training/certification causes 280 dollars. Money is not a huge issue to me, but obviously if I'm going to be investing that much money into it I want to make sure I can trust the service. Additionally, IMALIVE is associated with To Love With Her Arms, which has been in controversy over association with homophobic organizations but has since distanced itself from them.

TLDR; I really want to do some sort of crisis hotline volunteering but can't find any nearby and only found a website that charges a lot and is potentially sketchy. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.