Not sure I want to become a doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyrickkatelynn

Reaction score
I’ve been considering giving up a career in the medical field. I don’t think it’s the right fit for me. I’m socially awkward and I’m not grasping skills that should be easy to learn. For example, today in my high school Anatomy class we learned how to immobilize an arm with a split in my anatomy class and I kept messing it up. I just don’t think that I would do well in medicine. Could someone give me advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve been considering giving up a career in the medical field. I don’t think it’s the right fit for me. I’m socially awkward and I’m not grasping skills that should be easy to learn. For example, today in my high school Anatomy class we learned how to immobilize an arm with a split in my anatomy class and I kept messing it up. I just don’t think that I would do well in medicine. Could someone give me advice?
You don't have to be a doctor, and first off, finish high school.

Then get into college and figure out what is really interesting to you.

In high school, I wanted to be a USAF pilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Not trying to be mean but I lost you after high school. Dude I was the biggest ******* in highschool and got myself together in college. Anything you do in highschool wont matter for med school, unless its carried on over to college. I used to think I couldnt grasp certain things as quickly as the "smart kids", but later I realized I could and eventually you'll get much better at it. I ended up doing well in college, but it wont be easy. You'll need to work your butt off.

I like to think most people are socially awkward and its a skill that can be developed if you put yourself out there by volunteering at hospitals or doing community service, these experiences will give you the chance to connect with more people. Its easy to talk with the people of your community, you have a lot in common (sport teams, food, etc).

Plus, you dont even have to take anatomy in college. You can major in whatever you want if you fulfill the prereqs. Anatomy isnt even on the MCAT. However, you'll see it in your first year at med school though.

Best of luck with everything. And if you really want to conclude medicine is the path for you, then shadow some doctors.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Third year medical student.

Half my class is socially awkward (and that may be a generous estimate). You're in high school, you have years to mature and gain social intelligence, among many other things. As for messing up...that's life. I mess up all the time. It's called learning. The important thing is to not make the same mistakes twice.

Go to college, get good grades (to keep doors open), and as you grow, you will find your passions. This is the problem with society, adult pressure is applied to children. Go be a kid and focus on just being a good student.

• Wow
Reactions: 11 users
GET OFF SDN IF YOU ARE IN HIGH SSCHOOL jesus

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
I disagree with Talldoctor. Nothing wrong with getting involved early, as long as you try to keep some perspective. And I assume you'll be in college soon anyway.

To your point though, I just got into med school after going through undergrad + a masters (6yrs), and I can honestly tell you I don't remember a single thing about high school. I can't even name fifteen of my high school classmates. Your whole life is going to change in the next few years. Whether you come out the other side still wanting to be a doctor, just keep in mind that now is not the time to make final decisions about your future career. The person that makes that decision in 4yrs is going to be a completely different you.

And if you're worried about screwing up a splint after your first try, don't. I think younger people have this notion that the only ones that get into med school are those who are born having the innate ability to intubate a patient or throw a stitch. Everyone fumbles everything in the beginning. If it's an important skill and you don't get it immediately, practice. One thing you'll notice in med school is wannabe surgeons walking around practicing their surgical knots with the drawstrings of their scrub bottoms for HOURS. It doesn't take much conscious effort, but even for something that small, they do it everywhere they go.

For now, keep exploring medicine if you really want it. Join interest groups in college and shadow a ton. Do well in your classes so if you do decide you want to go to med school, you've put yourself in a solid position to do so. And if you get towards the middle/end of college and decide you don't love it, try something else.

I never even learned how to do a forearm splint in med school, let alone high school, so don't sweat that. You have a long road ahead of you and a lot of time to figure out what's right for you career-wise. Medicine is such a broad profession that there is a place for every type.

Reactions: 1 users
Just get reasonable grades and don’t get arrested. That’s pretty much your only job right now

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I disagree with Talldoctor. Nothing wrong with getting involved early, as long as you try to keep some perspective. And I assume you'll be in college soon anyway.

To your point though, I just got into med school after going through undergrad + a masters (6yrs), and I can honestly tell you I don't remember a single thing about high school. I can't even name fifteen of my high school classmates. Your whole life is going to change in the next few years. Whether you come out the other side still wanting to be a doctor, just keep in mind that now is not the time to make final decisions about your future career. The person that makes that decision in 4yrs is going to be a completely different you.

And if you're worried about screwing up a splint after your first try, don't. I think younger people have this notion that the only ones that get into med school are those who are born having the innate ability to intubate a patient or throw a stitch. Everyone fumbles everything in the beginning. If it's an important skill and you don't get it immediately, practice. One thing you'll notice in med school is wannabe surgeons walking around practicing their surgical knots with the drawstrings of their scrub bottoms for HOURS. It doesn't take much conscious effort, but even for something that small, they do it everywhere they go.

For now, keep exploring medicine if you really want it. Join interest groups in college and shadow a ton. Do well in your classes so if you do decide you want to go to med school, you've put yourself in a solid position to do so. And if you get towards the middle/end of college and decide you don't love it, try something else.
I agree 100 percent about getting involved early. Here’s my thinking though. As a premed, I generally knew the expectations on what I needed to do. I needed to maintain a 3.5, do well on mcat and just get involved in clinical/ research / volunteering that really got me excited about medicine. Then as the cycle approached I came on sdn to really take a deep dive into the tips and tricks necessary to be super successful. And by god are there tricks. But I think there is something natural and authentic about exploring and undertaking your premed journey yet having taken a deep dive into the nitty gritty. I think it becomes more authentic when you Don’t realize that you need x hours, or 3 most meaningful activities, x hours of shadowing, or if I wanted to be a doctor. There were moments I had doubts but by working through it on my own, and having my experiences guide me vs strangers on a message board (no offense I love sdn, I believe it lead to a more enjoyable, authentic journey. But that’s just my opinion and I understand why others may disagree.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the advice to finish highschool atm. If you like biology or anatomy, stay engaged in class and find things through which you can exercise your interest sure. If those interests change, that’s fine too. You’re in a really weird time in your life and issues w interpersonal skills or lack of confidence are super normal. Chances are you’ll probably grow out of them with time. If doctors entered into medicine unchanged from highschool everyone would be in trouble.

Me if I were to pass my highschool self on the street:

Attachments

• 29FEAE60-1974-48BF-AC51-9DCAE675B0CC.jpeg
    29FEAE60-1974-48BF-AC51-9DCAE675B0CC.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: 2 users
I had a <1.7 gpa in highschool and have had no issues this cycle. I remember my dad told me to ask about AP classes one year and my homeroom teacher laughed uncontrollably when I did.

Highschool has a few checkboxes at most to progress into the real world without too much of an issue. Dont die, dont commit a felony, dont get addicted to any substances, and dont leave with a kid.

Reactions: 6 users
I agree with the advice to finish highschool atm. If you like biology or anatomy, stay engaged in class and find things through which you can exercise your interest sure. If those interests change, that’s fine too. You’re in a really weird time in your life and issues w interpersonal skills or lack of confidence are super normal. Chances are you’ll probably grow out of them with time. If doctors entered into medicine unchanged from highschool everyone would be in trouble.

Me if I were to pass my highschool self on the street:
I had a <1.7 gpa in highschool and have had no issues this cycle. I remember my dad told me to ask about AP classes one year and my homeroom teacher laughed uncontrollably when I remembered to.

Highschool has a few checkboxes at most to progress into the real world without too much of an issue. Dont die, dont commit a felony, dont get addicted to any substances, and dont leave with a kid.

yeah for real. If I met my high school self rn I would be very concerned about them

Uhh in high school i told myself I was going to try every illicit substance at least once.

You're fine

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to be a cop in high school.

No, seriously.

You're going to change in the next few years. What you feel now is important to you now, but it won't be as important in 4-5 years. Just work hard and do your best and the rest will come to you as you mature.

In high school, I wanted to be a professional athlete. In college, I decided to focus on becoming a physician instead. However, some can do both!

Katelynn, stop stressing about a medical career and just go to college. If you can (or your parents can) afford it, take some ridiculous courses in something you’re interested in - the science of cooking, sports psychology, or analyzing romance novels or something. College and learning and earning an education is just one of the greatest experiences of life. You are about to embark on a really fun journey and I hope you maximize this time. Do well in college because you’re interested in what you study, not because it’s some means to an end. Medical school will always be there for you, so long as you keep your GPA up, no matter how old you are.

If you go into college with your current mindset, you could burn out badly and I don’t want that for you :( Please have fun and use your access to education wisely.

Reactions: 4 users
When you're 5 interviews in and realize you might not wanna do this (although i think thats just the stress of it all talking). Just make sure you take the time to figure out WHAT YOU ACTUALLY WANT. You think you know what you want in high school but college helps you determine what you truly value.

- Acceptances to med school are offered to those who have the most demonstrated potential, and not to those who possess the most know-how.
- Since matriculants come from many different backgrounds, med school curricula are designed with the assumption that students have little to no prior knowledge of the material at hand.
- I have never splinted anyone's arm before, nor have I ever been trained on how to do this. So certainly the inability to do so is not a disqualifier. For surgical subspecialties, residency applicants may be tasked with some hands-on demonstrations during the interview process. But as others have pointed out, there is something for everyone in medicine, with the only real requirement being a willingness to work hard and not minding long hours (at least initially in training).
- Start with some clinical volunteering and shadowing (not just physicians, but also PAs, RNs, etc) to explore whether medicine is right for you. Be open to other career possibilities. Make sure that you have a good undergrad GPA. Avoid cheating, doing drugs, and drinking and driving.
- Social awkwardness can be overcome over time and exposure. Just my thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Not trying to be mean but I lost you after high school. Dude I was the biggest ******* in highschool and got myself together in college. Anything you do in highschool wont matter for med school, unless its carried on over to college. I used to think I couldnt grasp certain things as quickly as the "smart kids", but later I realized I could and eventually you'll get much better at it. I ended up doing well in college, but it wont be easy. You'll need to work your butt off.

I like to think most people are socially awkward and its a skill that can be developed if you put yourself out there by volunteering at hospitals or doing community service, these experiences will give you the chance to connect with more people. Its easy to talk with the people of your community, you have a lot in common (sport teams, food, etc).

Plus, you dont even have to take anatomy in college. You can major in whatever you want if you fulfill the prereqs. Anatomy isnt even on the MCAT. However, you'll see it in your first year at med school though.

Best of luck with everything. And if you really want to conclude medicine is the path for you, then shadow some doctors.
Wholeheartedly agree with this.

On the side: How about those data battles, though?

If it makes you feel any better, many junior ortho residents don’t know how to splint.
:lol:
FACTS!

during my Surgery rotation, half the residents were learning on the spot.

TBH splinting is one story. Charting it is a whole different level :D

I remember, I was in one of my first EMT courses and we had to practice taking a blood glucose on ourselves. I have always been scared of my own blood (other people's blood not so much), and the thought of the lancet was really wigging me out. Everyone else in the class had already finished and I was still holding the lancet above my finger afraid to press down on it. It was embarrassing. I felt like an awkward mess. But I got through it. And with practice it became easy to me. My point is that you will grow and one day look back on yourself and be amazed at all the things you've learned to do--regardless of what you eventually decide upon for a career.

I didn't even go to class in high school. I'll be graduating from med school this May. You're good.

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.