Not Sure if I Should Apply this Cycle or Next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

florida91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my first post ever on SDN but I'm really curious to hear some opinions from you guys on whether I should apply this cycle or wait it out until next year.

I'm a Florida resident and currently a Junior at a UC, and I'm hoping to get my GPA up to a 3.5 by the end of this school year. I just got my MCAT score and am debating whether or not I should retake (10VR 11PS 8BS) especially because of the low bio score.

I don't have anything prepared for the application, so I would probably be totally rushed in getting it done within the next month, especially since I'm still in school (quarter system). So everything seems to be indicating to me that I should just wait and apply next year, but the only reason I'm considering still applying this cycle is because I'm primarily looking at Florida schools.

I'm in-state, but I'm not sure if it would be reasonable for me to just apply to a few Florida schools this cycle and see if I get in, and if not just retake the MCAT sometime next school year and apply more broadly then? Would that be something reasonable to do or should I just wait until next year when I'm fully prepared and can apply more broadly?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm always a supporter of taking gaps years, especially if you went from high school to college straight, and then you'd be going to med school right after. I think everyone should, unless there is some reason why you would need to start right after.

Honestly, it's no fun going through the application cycle twice. You might as well do it once and do it well. I'm speaking from experience - I sort of made the decision to go ahead and apply in a 'well, if it happens, it happens. if it doesn't, oh wells.' I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone - it's expensive and stressful. Save your money, and do it right once.

Is there a way to get a job in Florida so you can stay in state for Florida? I'd do that if you're looking to Florida schools.

That's my advice anyway.

My only hesitation with taking a gap year is that I won't find something to do with it, but I understand that gap years are generally never viewed negatively now, right? I am definitely not the type to just sit around at home doing nothing, so I'm sure I would be doing something valuable with my time but having a year off still makes me a little nervous for some reason.

Would you recommend retaking the MCAT over the next year? And thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply to Florida schools if you actually want to go to those schools. But yea if your going to rush into it and not have everything as good as it could be then you are doing yourself a disservice. It takes a lot of time to put together a good application.

But yea no matter what I would definitely try to find something good to do with a year off.

My only hesitation with taking a gap year is that I won't find something to do with it, but I understand that gap years are generally never viewed negatively now, right? I am definitely not the type to just sit around at home doing nothing, so I'm sure I would be doing something valuable with my time but having a year off still makes me a little nervous for some reason.

Would you recommend retaking the MCAT over the next year? And thanks for your advice!

Do you have plans this summer? You could study this summer then take it late July/early August so a MCAT score is already set for you to apply the next year.

If you decide to apply this year, you could retake it late June/early July to give yourself at least a month to study - at least your weakness is bio, which is an easier section to fix (vs. verbal). But regardless, I would recommend you retake it to get at least a 30.

As long as you do something productive, nobody will view your gap year badly. I think it can only help you.

I really appreciate all of your responses! I was planning on working at a summer camp this summer, but I'm actually thinking I'm going to skip that this year and study to take the test again in late July so I can have everything ready to apply next year. Thanks!