Not sure if I want to leave CVS, please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenteacup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all, sorry for long post but please help with my dilemma

I am a staff pharmacist at CVS pharmacy. I am proud to say that I love this job. The pharmacy is 2 mns from my house and it doesn't have a drive-through. We do about 275-300+ scripts a day. and I only work 1 weekend a month!

True that I don't get to go to the bathroom when I want to all the time. I don't have a lunch break. I get yelled at by customers. there are extreme metrics to keep up and I have to make way to many phone calls. But compare to other CVS, this is the best one I can imagine. and I get along well with the people I work with.

We have a great DM who is very appreciative and understanding.

2 months ago, my DM wanted to move me to another store. There are a couple of new CVS opening up, and I was to go to one of them. Panic, I started applying for other jobs.

However, last month I had a meeting with my DM. she gave me her word that I can stay at my current store.

While all this is going on, I got a job offer with Harris Teteer as a full-time floater with a prospect of getting my own store in a few months.

People say life at supermarket pharmacy is better. But I am scared of the change. What I have is not perfect but It is not bad. I am comfortable with some occasional bad days.

While, I have no idea what life at Harris Teteer would be like, I am just afraid to lose a job that is only 2 mns from my house, where I know what I am doing.

If you work at a supermarket pharmacy, I would appreciate you sharing your wisdom.

Many many thanks for your opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't leave, that sounds like about as sweet a gig as you are going to get. Who knows how many miles you will be driving to work at a grocery chain, I know people that drive over an hour a day for Publix. I can't believe I am saying this, but I think you should stay at CVS.

Reactions: 10 users
Commute time has a big impact on happiness.

Floating temporarily is fine but how can you guarantee you won't be placed to a sh1tty store far from where you live later? If they can guarantee you a store close to where you live, make the jump.

I know someone commute 1.5h one way five days a week. That's 720 hours/yr = 32 days/yr (9%) of life spent on the road. Unpaid gas, time travel, It's beyond dumb.

I'd even say take $5/hr pay cut to make your commute 10 mins or less. It's worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also cannot believe myself that I am saying this.. stay with CVS.
Store is close to your house, only working one weekend/month is great, script number is ok. Getting yelled part.. is same as other retail wherever you are going.
If I were you, I would stay with CVS.

But again, since I’ve never been worked at supermarket pharmacy, my experience is limited.

Well, despite all the drawbacks of working for a 3 letter chain, having a somewhat more stable future should also be something to consider vs. a grocery pharmacy.

As someone who walks to work, I must say I am very reluctant to move stores; floating every once in a while is a good reminder how much commuting 30+ minutes one way sucks. Best days = Blizzard aftermath days

No drive-through?

I stopped reading at that point. Don't know why you wrote such a long essay.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for your input. much appreciated. I will stay with cvs.

I am a staff pharmacist at CVS pharmacy. I am proud to say that I love this job. The pharmacy is 2 mns from my house and it doesn't have a drive-through. We do about 275-300+ scripts a day. and I only work 1 weekend a month!

True that I don't get to go to the bathroom when I want to all the time. I don't have a lunch break. I get yelled at by customers. there are extreme metrics to keep up and I have to make way to many phone calls. But compare to other CVS, this is the best one I can imagine. and I get along well with the people I work with.

2 months ago, my DM wanted to move me to another store. There are a couple of new CVS opening up, and I was to go to one of them. Panic, I started applying for other jobs.

However, last month I had a meeting with my DM. she gave me her word that I can stay at my current store.

While all this is going on, I got a job offer with Harris Teteer as a full-time floater with a prospect of getting my own store in a few months.

People say life at supermarket pharmacy is better. But I am scared of the change. What I have is not perfect but It is not bad. I am comfortable with some occasional bad days.

While, I have no idea what life at Harris Teteer would be like, I am just afraid to lose a job that is only 2 mns from my house, where I know what I am doing.

If you work at a supermarket pharmacy, I would appreciate you sharing your wisdom.

Have you googled the locations of the supermarket chain you would be expected to cover....?

Your CVS supervisor owes you nothing. She is promising you one thing now, but she can change her mind at any time in the future.

Go with Harris Teeter while the opportunity is there.

Reactions: 2 users

I think that all of retail is going to go to hell. But thay supermarket will probably be bought out at some point. So better the devil that you know.

This post reads like what I imagine Stockholm Syndrome feels like.

I think that all of retail is going to go to hell. But thay supermarket will probably be bought out at some point. So better the devil that you know.

H... How do you know if you failed out of primacy school?

Just stay at CVS. Getting your own store at the grocery chain is not a sure thing, and even if you do get your own store there is always the possibility that you will hate the staff and/or it is an hour drive. Plus you will have to learn a new computer system, and I assume that the pay is lower than CVS. And if the grocery chain offered you higher pay, then tell CVS and get yourself a raise.

Would you guys drop your current gig for an 8-6 gig Monday to Thursday with no weekends if it meant you had to drive an hour one way to work?

Would you guys drop your current gig for an 8-6 gig Monday to Thursday with no weekends if it meant you had to drive an hour one way to work?

Assuming that the work environment is similar, I probably would. With a 10 hour shift, you aren't going to get anything else accomplished on those days anyways, so the driving isn't really cutting out any quality time from your day. You can have 3 consecutive days off every week and totally forget about work. But, it's personal preference.

I have eyes.

Sorry, but why are we supposed to care about or value the opinion of someone with so little self awareness and perspective that they react to failing by trying to sue their school?

You have eyes?

Give me a break.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, but why are we supposed to care about or value the opinion of someone with so little self awareness and perspective that they react to failing by trying to sue their school?

You have eyes?

Give me a break.
Do you disagree with what I said or the fact that I said it?