Not sure what I'm doing wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been studying for the MCAT a while and took 10 practice tests so far. I am scoring well on the harder FLs (NS- 511-512s, Altius- 508-510s). I read that a 512 on NS exams correlates to 512+ on AAMC. This was true for my first 3 AAMC FLs...I also did well on the AAMC Section Banks (>78%), OG, Q-packs, AAMC flashcards, and ~300 CARS passages aside from these tests.

Every practice test I've taken, I scored 127-128 on the science sections. But for AAMC FL 3, I scored a 125 C/P and I'm really trying to understand what could be going wrong so that I can change it.

Has anyone been in this situation, where they did above average on third party FLs (which people say are much harder), but fell short on AAMC? What strategies did you use to improve?

I have done every single AAMC resource out there, and reviewed them thoroughly twice. It's really hard to gauge my progress, when all other scores I have so far is good, except this one score that now makes me question my knowledge :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't doubt yourself too much over one subsection score in one test, especially given that you're doing pretty well on the section banks. Review the section and see what the problem was-- did the test focus too much on content you were weaker in? Then review.

On the flipside, don't take too much stock in those FL --> real deal conversion predictions. They can be accurate at times, but aren't really based on real stats, just random correlation. I was repeatedly told that I would get "5xx+" on the real deal based on my NS scores (since people said NS was typically inflated slightly), and I ended up scoring lower. Not trying to make you panic-- based on your SB scores, you're at a good place-- but just don't put too much stock into the predictions. Just figure out what you did wrong on that test, learn from it, and move on.

Reactions: 1 user