Not sure what to do with my year-off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

It's opHthalmology

Hi guys,

So I have a bit of a strange situation. My ophtho residency doesn't start until 2018 and I have already finished my intern year. So I basically have this whole year to myself. I am keeping busy with research and getting a small stipidend for that. But I was thinking about getting myself a full-time job. I was just wondering what if there were any relatively well paid positions folks who have done their MD and intern year could do for a brief period of time?

Also it is not lost on me that this is a great opportunity to have fun, relax and travel before residency.

I would love some advice as I'm a bit lost!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are some states that let you get a license with 1 year of residency.

Get one of those and you can make 1k/night moonlighting

Reactions: 1 user
This is a great idea, but it can take > 3 months in many states (and >6-9 in popular ones like Cali, Texas) to get a full license. But it would be a great way to keep your skills and knowledge base up.

Agree with above. Get a full license and you'll have plenty of options. What state are you in? Some states can have you licensed very quickly. IIRC, From submission of the application to license issued took less than a month in PA (and only cost $35!)

Hi guys,

So I have a bit of a strange situation. My ophtho residency doesn't start until 2018 and I have already finished my intern year. So I basically have this whole year to myself. I am keeping busy with research and getting a small stipidend for that. But I was thinking about getting myself a full-time job. I was just wondering what if there were any relatively well paid positions folks who have done their MD and intern year could do for a brief period of time?

Also it is not lost on me that this is a great opportunity to have fun, relax and travel before residency.

I would love some advice as I'm a bit lost!

Thanks

There are jobs out there that you can do where you go to people's homes and do an insurance h&p. They'll pay you per person, but you need a permanent license.