Not sure what to do with myself: retake MCAT or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ornitorinco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading threads on SMPs and MCAT retakes but I feel that both my GPA and MCAT score are borderline and I'm having a really difficult time deciding how to improve my application.

I have a 32P and a 3.58 cumulative GPA (3.51 BCMP).

I've been planning to just retake the MCAT because my practice scores were all in the 35-38 range and I feel like I froze on test day. However I have already used up all of the practice exams and at this point I'm not sure I could raise my score. I have been considering an SMP because I feel like my GPA is detrimental to my application.

I've heard that I will probably get in somewhere if I apply early and broadly, but I really want to go to school in either DC or NY and I'm trying to figure out which of the above options could improve my chances there.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it might depend on what your timeline is. I don't know if this is the best thing for your to do, but if you really want to go to school in ny, why don't you take a year to establish residency? If you are working/living in NY for a year you establish residency. Take a job/do research somewhere in NY, maybe take a class or two to help boost your gpa a little, and then apply. It would give you time to beef up your application, and give you instate tuition to boot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ehhhh, i wouldn't consider 3.5 THAT detrimental unless you had a downward trend in the process to get you there.
Assuming you have around 120 credits, it may take a while to even boost your GPA.
I would bank on a retake and do more EC's. SMP is mostly for people who have a low GPA 3.3 or lower with a decent MCAT score.
Your MCAT score is around the average for matriculants.
I think that if you can attain a 38 on the MCAT, you stand a good chance at interview offers and acceptances.

I've been reading threads on SMPs and MCAT retakes but I feel that both my GPA and MCAT score are borderline and I'm having a really difficult time deciding how to improve my application.

I have a 32P and a 3.58 cumulative GPA (3.51 BCMP).

I've been planning to just retake the MCAT because my practice scores were all in the 35-38 range and I feel like I froze on test day. However I have already used up all of the practice exams and at this point I'm not sure I could raise my score. I have been considering an SMP because I feel like my GPA is detrimental to my application.

I've heard that I will probably get in somewhere if I apply early and broadly, but I really want to go to school in either DC or NY and I'm trying to figure out which of the above options could improve my chances there.

SMP if not for you, your GPA is decent enough to not be detrimental to your application unless you apply to top heavy schools. I really would not consider retaking a 32 P MCAT score unless you are perfectly sure that you will score > 35 on the MCAT which would be a significant jump. At this point I think I would really focus on my personal statement, secondaries and most importantly matching my ECs to the mission/focus of the schools.

A 3.5 isn't that bad, and neither is a 32 MCAT. In fact, a 32 is a little above the average for matriculants to medical school. Really, it's your EC's at this point that will determine whether or not you have a shot at getting into those schools which interest you. Maybe you should call up admissions and ask what they are looking for.

I wouldn't retake the MCAT. A 32 is good, and if you freeze up again, or don't get "your test," you may end up with the exact same score or, heaven forbid, a lower score. How willing are you to take that risk? How confident are you in your abilities?

I wouldn't do an SMP either. An SMP is essentially an expensive audition for medical school and, in my opinion, it should be considered a last resort. Why? Because if you bomb it, you have effectively proved that you cannot handle medical school, and you will never, ever get another chance. NEVER!

I'd just beef up on my EC's and apply. See what happens. I don't know your reasons for wanting to go to NY or DC for medical school, but there are very few applicants with the stats and luxury to pick where they go. You go where you get in and live with it. Or, you don't get in where you want to go and don't go to medical school. Your call.

I have similar stats and haven't been too successful with MD schools this cycle. I think it is mostly due to my ECs more so than my GPA or MCAT. While the GPA and MCAT is just borderline/average, I think additional meaningful clinical ECs will be much more worthwhile. Even if you boost your GPA and MCAT, if your ECs are still so so, then chances will still be slim. Not to mention the cost of SMPs! I would take the other person's advice and get a job (clinical or research depending) in NY and establish residency (be sure to keep ALL your dated paperwork).

I would retake MCAT, especially if you've been scoring much higher. It's a short time investment. Just make sure you're 110% confident you will score >35.

Apply early, broadly and to OOS friendly schools if you don't end up relocating. Good luck!