Not sure what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossled

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian M2 student in an MD school in the states. I am kind of interested in doing a med-peds residency because I want the flexibility and depth of education to take care of peds and adults that isn't seen with FM and I want to use this in medical missions developing countries. This was something I wanted to do, but I found out that Canada doesn't accept combined residencies. After my residency I need to go back to Candada for 2 years or something but I wouldn't be able to work because of that It sucks because I want to be able to practice in Candada and in the States, I want the flexibility. I would probably end up practicing in Canada over the states because the healthcare system is better. I cant do any of that anymore. Just wish canada would accept combined residencies.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize they didn’t accept combined residencies.
If you’re wanting to practice in Canada it means you’ll have to decide FM for the kid aspect or IM.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a Canadian M2 student in an MD school in the states. I am kind of interested in doing a med-peds residency because I want the flexibility and depth of education to take care of peds and adults that isn't seen with FM and I want to use this in medical missions developing countries. This was something I wanted to do, but I found out that Canada doesn't accept combined residencies. After my residency I need to go back to Candada for 2 years or something but I wouldn't be able to work because of that It sucks because I want to be able to practice in Candada and in the States, I want the flexibility. I would probably end up practicing in Canada over the states because the healthcare system is better. I cant do any of that anymore. Just wish canada would accept combined residencies.

To be quite honest it’s the gynecology and obstetrics part of FM plus pediatrics which would be the greatest benefit in developing countries. Their adult medicine is very different in our and very often very different location to location depending on the local problem infections and parasites - that is stuff you can’t really pick up much until “in country”. Do FM.

I guess I’m biased since I’m FM but it seems like that’d be the best option for you. Are you planning to practice mostly inpatient or outpatient? I’m not sure what you’re referencing in regards to learning "more in depth" but remember that with IM and peds you likely won’t get the same in-depth training in things like OB, gyn, sports med and other common outpatient procedures that FM has. So all specialities have their pros and cons.

From my understanding about Canada is that for general outpatient care PCPs are the main doctors so you will likely still see a lot of kids. Where I work now we see a lot of kids, gyn and procedures...as well as typical outpatient acute and chronic care. I’ve also done some work internationally which my FM training helped immensely. So no I couldn’t manage a patient in the ICU at the moment, but I feel pretty comfortable with care in the outpatient setting, so if that what your career goal is then FM will be a good fit.