Not sure what to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Geoff

Mzungu
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Need a little advice… Not sure what to do to at the moment. I am going to apply to med school for 2009. I was in Peace Corps Kenya for 1 ½ years and had about 10 months left to go when the program was closed because of the political situation. :( So, I’ve been thrown back home with no real plan at the moment. Just wondering what I could do to improve my acceptance chances. Anyone else in a situation where they are out of school and waiting to apply? What are you doing? I was thinking of looking for some sort of medical assistant job, or maybe taking an EMT course. Any ideas guys?

Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

I think you may have found a good idea with taking a job in the medical field. The quickest route would be by taking a class to become a nursing assistant and then working for a hospital or nursing home. These locations usually let you set your work schedule a month in advance so that you can set up interviews. You'll make money, get exposure to the medical field, and have something to talk about on your application.

dude, that's rough. i feel for you. i was a volunteer in cameroon when all the chadians were evacd.

anyhow, i digress. how exactly would you like to improve your app? do you just need a job? are you lacking in clinical exposure?

if no part of your app is really lacking, then i'd say to find any job that really interests you and go ahead with the app in june.

after peace corps, i had no money and a HCN husband, so i essentially had to carry the load for both of us. i found a job close by that was interesting enough, and adcoms had no problem with it. i don't think anyone will fault you for having to pay the bills.