Not sure what to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerryG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I'm new to this forum and I wanted to get your opinion on my situation. I've been studying for over 3 months and my score is stuck at ~11PS, 7s and 8s VR, ~11BS. These are averages over aamc 3-10. My test is march 28th and I'm not sure if I should postpone my test or not. I've completed EK and TPR verbal workbooks. Here is a little info about me...

I'm a Louisiana resident planning on applying to LSU-NO. 4.0 GPA and good extracurriculars (research, tutoring, volunteering, etc.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should evaluate what you want to get on the exam. I just postponed my exam from the 28th of March to June 18th, because I need a serious makeover on my Physical Sciences. Most of my friends told me to just relax (because stress was killing my scores) and just take the exam, but I know I can do better than what I'm currently scoring, so I put it off.

I will leave you with this piece of advice, because I can't tell you to go one way or the other, do what you think will be the best choice for yourself. You have good scores, but do you think you can do better? Is your average something you could get and not lose any sleep over? Would you want to retake as soon as you discovered you achieved your average on the actual MCAT? If you answered yes to these questions maybe you should consider pushing it back, but remember that when you start focusing on verbal intensely for the next month or two you might lose a little of the sharpness in your sciences and the longer you go at this studying process the greater risk you run of burnout.

Good luck, although I'm sure whatever your decision you'll be just fine.

Hi- I'm new to this forum and I wanted to get your opinion on my situation. I've been studying for over 3 months and my score is stuck at ~11PS, 7s and 8s VR, ~11BS. These are averages over aamc 3-10. My test is march 28th and I'm not sure if I should postpone my test or not. I've completed EK and TPR verbal workbooks. Here is a little info about me...

I'm a Louisiana resident planning on applying to LSU-NO. 4.0 GPA and good extracurriculars (research, tutoring, volunteering, etc.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You are getting close, but you should probably defer the test to work on the VR material. I found those AAMC tests to be highly accurate in terms of the range more than the average - what is the lowest recent MCAT score you have gotten on an AAMC?

What is the mean matriculant MCAT at LSU? Around 27 to 29? You are close with your average, and that GPA is sure nice.

Apply to Shreveport, too.

Last edited:
To answer a couple questions...LSU average acceptance is ~28. Obviously an 11/7/11 is above average, but the breakdown is a bit off. I don't want to take the exam and regret it, but at the same time I do not think my verbal is going to go up any time soon. I started reading the economist senior year of high school and I've done a ridiculous amount of verbal prep for the last few months. At this point I'm beginning to just accept that a 7 or 8 is the best I can do and hope that on test day I can pull of 12+ on the sciences which is probably a terrible mindset but I don't know what else to do...

To answer a couple questions...LSU average acceptance is ~28. Obviously an 11/7/11 is above average, but the breakdown is a bit off. I don't want to take the exam and regret it, but at the same time I do not think my verbal is going to go up any time soon. I started reading the economist senior year of high school and I've done a ridiculous amount of verbal prep for the last few months. At this point I'm beginning to just accept that a 7 or 8 is the best I can do and hope that on test day I can pull of 12+ on the sciences which is probably a terrible mindset but I don't know what else to do...

I think you know what you want to do then. Just go take the exam. I can speak from experience, all that stressing about scores does is makes them go down. Don't sweat it and show up well rested.

Good luck!