Not sure what to make of my DAT results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alldayrelief

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT 20
QR 24
RC 22
BIO 17
GEN 18
ORG 21
TS 18
AA 20

I'm not sure if it's worth retaking the DAT to try to get better bio/gen chem scores because I did better than expected on other sections. How will dental schools interpret my scores?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your shoes, I would take a nice 2-week break, relax for some time, and then sit down, make a new battle plan and re-take.

While I don't think you're below the so-called "cut-offs," I do think that if you want peace of mind during the upcoming application cycle, retaking and getting better scores on Bio and Gen Chem will help you.

Reactions: 1 users
First, congrats on taking the DAT! You definitely have some respectable scores, and all of your scores are above the cutoffs for almost every school. Also, your AA is right on/a little above average for acceptance into dental school. I'd recommend taking a look at the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools and seeing how your scores compare with the averages for the dental schools you want to apply to. Additionally, I'd get advice from your pre-health advisor if you have one, and most importantly I'd contact the schools you’re interested in applying to and ask them for advice if you should retake the test. Their opinion matters the most after all.

If you decide to retake, shoot me an email and I'll try to help out. Do what @Incis0r said though and take 2 weeks off and just relax to get a clear mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
PAT 20
QR 24
RC 22
BIO 17
GEN 18
ORG 21
TS 18
AA 20

I'm not sure if it's worth retaking the DAT to try to get better bio/gen chem scores because I did better than expected on other sections. How will dental schools interpret my scores?
First I want to say Congratulations! The DAT is very challenging and you did average in the sciences but had a very nice 22 in reading. Dental schools like to see a high reading score because there is a lot of reading in dental school. What was your PAT score? Your science GPA and the schools you want to attend need to be considered. With a high enough GPA a retake might not be necessary. It is always best to contact the schools with your stats and get their advice.

Wishing you the best..

nancy

Reactions: 1 user