Not Sure When to Apply - WAMC 2019?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittylady03

Tufts c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a current junior Animal Science major. I am in my school's honors program and I am a first generation student. I'm from Rhode Island, so I don't have any in-state advantages. I am planning to apply this application cycle (only to Tufts, my top choice) just to see what happens; I am very willing to take a gap year and feel that will strengthen my application more. But I still wanted to get some advice/tips on how to strengthen my application over this summer and during a potential gap year.

Also thought I should mention I'm interested in small animals, surgery, and research.

Cumulative GPA: 3.74 (predicted at the end of summer courses)
science GPA: 3.62
last 45: 3.91 (predicted at end of summer courses)

GRE results: will be taking in June - expecting high quantitative and average verbal/writing scores

Veterinary Experience:
-sadly only 30 hours right now (small animal; equine; clinics in Egypt)
-will be getting approximately 200 hours this summer (small animal)
-will be getting approximately 120 hours in January, after application cycle (equine emergency hospital externship)

Animal Experience:
-animal shelter volunteer for 3 months (looking to continue that this summer)
-dog walker for 2 years (still doing this)
-dog sitter for 2 years
-will be volunteering at horse barn this summer

Research Experience:
-127 hours in biomedical research lab
-6 hours on organic dairy farm investigating effects of canola
-teaching assistant for tissue culture course (20 hours)
-will be completing honors thesis project during senior year (complementing previous biomedical research in conjunction with veterinary pathologists)

Awards/scholarships:
-Horatio Alger RI State Scholar 2016
-Dean's List - all semesters except 1
-Dean's Scholar (2016-2019)
-Awarded 3 scholarships from university

Extracurriculars:
-Sigma Alpha Professional Agricultural Sorority - current Secretary on the Executive Board
-Pre-Vet Club
-Middle Eastern Cultural Association
-volunteer with Honors Program and Admissions

Employment:
-library student assistant on campus since freshman year
-bakery associate (2016-2018)

Just nervous about applying and want to get some feedback on how to improve in addition to my potential chances for this application cycle :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA’s are good for getting in. Where you may run into trouble is your experience. Check the minimums for the schools you plan on applying to (if they have them). One thing schools may question you on in an interview or in general is how you know veterinary medicine is right for you since you don’t have a lot of hours. Aside from that, your research hours are alright and it sounds like you have a good amount of animal experience. Everything experience-wise is below average as of now though unless you did a lot of dog walking and dog sitting (1000+ hours). This shouldn’t prevent you from getting in entirely though. Just make sure to demonstrate that you learned a lot from your experience, which is what’s most important in the end.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I previously posted a WAMC a few months ago; I have a few updates so I wanted to see where I'm at for this application cycle.

I'm an Animal Science major and Psychology minor. I'm from Rhode Island (no in-state) and I'm a first generation student. I would love to attend Tufts, but I am thinking about applying to UPenn and Cornell as well. I'm definitely willing to take a gap year if needed, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to apply this year.

Cumulative GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.60
Last 45: 3.88

GRE: 155 verbal, 157 quantitative

Veterinary Experience as of July 9:
-52 hours small animal (clinics in Egypt, private practice, community spay-neuter clinic, animal shelter veterinary staff)
-5 hours equine
-expecting to have at least 50-60 more hours in small animal by the end of the summer

Animal Experience as of July 9:
-31 hours walking dogs
-35 hours as cat care volunteer at shelter
-60 hours dog sitting
-20 hours as stable hand

Research Experience:
-127 hours in biomedical research lab
-6 hours assisting in canola study on organic dairy farm
-50 hours as a teaching assistant for a tissue culture course
-will be completing honors thesis project during senior year (continuing previous biomedical research in conjunction with veterinary pathologists)

Extracurriculars:
-Sigma Alpha Professional Agricultural Sorority - current Secretary on Executive Board
-Middle Eastern Cultural Association
-Honors Peer Mentor Program - Student Director

Employment:
-480 hours as student library associate
-800 hours as bakery associate
-intermittently working at family business my entire life

It's really tough for me to gain veterinary experience due to a variety of factors. I know that's probably the weakest part of my application, and I am working on getting the numbers up. However, I noticed the time I have spent in a veterinary setting has been reassuring me that this is the path I want. I can definitely see myself as a veterinarian in the future.

I'm also a little concerned with my LORs. I so far have my pre-vet advisor (also my professor for 4 courses) and the research scientist I have/will continue to work with. For the third, I am not sure if the veterinarians I am working with now would be able to complete a meaningful one, as I haven't had considerable experience with them. I am considering another science faculty member (based off Tufts requirements). But I was wondering if a fourth LOR from a non-science faculty member would benefit me (they would be able to write an excellent one; they have helped me grow as a person and a student from my freshman year to my junior year).

I appreciate the feedback :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you have no IS have you considered schools that allow residency changes? I'm sure you've checked, but just make sure none of the vet schools you're applying to require a vet letter if you're not going to have one. As always keep chugging away and get as many hours as possible before submitting that application. It's hard to say I know vet med is 100% the field for me with only ~50 hours as there is alot you have yet to experience. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far though! Your LORs should be able to attest to you as a person. People always recommend a 4th letter incase one of your main 3 falls through which is a good idea, but if you know for sure the 3 will submit them on time and be excellent letters then I dont think a 4th is necessary. I had a LOR from someone who had known me in a life setting since I was ~9 and they were not related to vet med or science in the slightest. Their letters purpose was to help round out my application showing my service to community,communitcaion, leadership, and just being persay normal in interactions attesting to all the things my vet and professor couldn't because of their role in my life. For your vet experience variety is good, but also try and pick one place to be steady at so that if need be down the road you can get a good letter out of them. I think having a vet letter is good if you can get a good one as they can attest to you in the field, but where you have yet to forge those relationships, strong LORs will serve you much better in the application cycle I think.

I know that was kind of a jumbled mess, but hope it helped some. Good luck!

@MixedAnimals77 and @SkiOtter, so considering what you both said, would either of you recommend just applying to one school (Tufts in this case since they don't require a vet LOR if I have a research scientist)? I've heard from some people to apply to more because my application isn't that strong, but I think the opposite? I'm totally okay with taking a gap year; I just know I'd regret it if I didn't apply to any.

I'm totally okay with taking a gap year; I just know I'd regret

My first application cycle, I only applied with 150 hours. Of the 5 schools I applied to (CSU, WSU, Mizzou, Penn, and K State) I was wait listed at K State. Rejected at the rest. My academic stats weren't as strong as yours.

However, the application cycle is only becoming more competitive every year. You'll be competing with people with similar stats, similar ECs, and more hours all the way around. I would honestly suggest not applying this cycle and beefing up your hours and getting a solid letter of rec from a vet to broaden your application range. You would save money and increase your chances of acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
@MixedAnimals77 and @SkiOtter, so considering what you both said, would either of you recommend just applying to one school (Tufts in this case since they don't require a vet LOR if I have a research scientist)? I've heard from some people to apply to more because my application isn't that strong, but I think the opposite? I'm totally okay with taking a gap year; I just know I'd regret it if I didn't apply to any.
If you'll regret not applying, then apply to Tufts since you meet all their requirements. You never know what might happen. Considering you don't have a vet LOR I agree with Bats and would not use the blanket approach to apply-these application cycles keep getting crazier and crazier. Would a gap year be beneficial, yes. Would it be terrible to only apply to Tufts, no. I would much rather see someone apply to one school that they qualify for in all aspects (ie not missing any prereqs, LOR requirements, etc) than for someone to apply to a ton of schools and waste their money.

Reactions: 1 users