Not sure where to go from here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caviar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm graduating in about a month with a Bio degree and a 3.4 cGPA upward trend for the last three semesters. I got a 29Q on my MCAT (12 PS/6 VR/ 11 BS and retaking in June) Starting to get scared as to what I will do next year. Taking classes is getting expensive and I am thinking of working in the area for awhile. My last two years have been clinical work and volunteering experience but I really want to try my hand at research.

It seems that alot of jobs at biotech companies want that 1 year research experience with skills in PCR or a master's degree. My school counselor shot me down and said I shouldn't apply until 2 years or so when I've done a post-bacc.

Should I get a regular master's degree or work for a year then do a 1 year SMP?

Also, how do I break into the research scene when all I know is menial clinical tasks? Professors might not want me because I can't make the long term commitment that a freshman can. I've applied to biotech firms and other universities but no response on my resume. I'd rather try research than go back to clinical because recent classes i've taken got me excited about lab techniques that I never got a chance to do.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah sounds like you got screwed like a lot of premeds did in research by choosing the wrong PI who didn't really care about your welfare. I would recommend you just contact professors and just emphasize to them how much you want to work in their lab and continue learning.

I'm graduating in about a month with a Bio degree and a 3.4 cGPA upward trend for the last three semesters. I got a 29Q on my MCAT (12 PS/6 VR/ 11 BS and retaking in June)

I really want to try my hand at research.

Also, how do I break into the research scene when all I know is menial clinical tasks?
Did your advisor mention that you'd have a good chance of an acceptance at an osteopathic med school as you are? Their average acceptee has a 3.45/25.5. You wouldn't need research to be competitive if you have a decent amount of clinical experience, shadowing, and community service.

To get a research experience, you could do a heavy science masters, but having the degree does not make you more competitive for med school, other than for the research and maybe teaching opportunities it offers. You'd be expected to complete it before a med school would let you matriculate. You could also continue as a student and take a research class. You could email numerous investigators at your college with your CV and transcript and indicate an interest in their current projects after looking them up on-line first, asking for a volunteer position (or for credit, or for pay).

With a 3.4 cGPA, you might get an allopathic acceptance with an MCAT score in the 33+ range (including a stronger VS, like at least an 8). Taking more classes, probably wouldn't raise it up much in a year's time, but even a 3.5 looks better to allopathic med schools and with straight As would continue your upward trend. I don't think you need an SMP, just a higher MCAT score, and/or a somewhat higher cGPA. The BCPM GPA, of course, needs to be strong wherever you apply.

Keep in mind that MCAT scores expire in 2-3 years at most schools, so don't take it prematurely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'm graduating in about a month with a Bio degree and a 3.4 cGPA upward trend for the last three semesters. I got a 29Q on my MCAT (12 PS/6 VR/ 11 BS and retaking in June) Starting to get scared as to what I will do next year. Taking classes is getting expensive and I am thinking of working in the area for awhile. My last two years have been clinical work and volunteering experience but I really want to try my hand at research.

It seems that alot of jobs at biotech companies want that 1 year research experience with skills in PCR or a master's degree. My school counselor shot me down and said I shouldn't apply until 2 years or so when I've done a post-bacc.

Also, how do I break into the research scene when all I know is menial clinical tasks? Professors might not want me because I can't make the long term commitment that a freshman can. I've applied to biotech firms and other universities but no response on my resume. I'd rather try research than go back to clinical because recent classes i've taken got me excited about lab techniques that I never got a chance to do.

Thanks so much!

You are DO competitive now....the 6 verbal could be a problem, but still not that much.....

What are your feelings on that?

I was pretty shocked when I saw my VS since I was averaging 10 on practice exams. I'm sure I can bring it up since I basically panicked on the day of the test.

As for DO, I'm definitely keeping it as an option, but I want to pursue MD if there is even a chance for me.

I can't take classes in my graduating college anymore since it is out of state, but I may take undergraduate classes in the institution near my home, where I will live. I think it limits me to 10 credits a semester though because its non-degree.

I just calculated out that my sGPA will end up at 3.3 at an upward trend. Does this change things?

That 6 VR is killing you... you've gotta retake, especially with the borderline GPA you have. The PS and BS are solid... sucks that you got unlucky with VR.

Retake the MCAT, bring that VR up 4-5 points with your other scores remaining the same, and you'll be pretty solid.

I was pretty shocked when I saw my VS since I was averaging 10 on practice exams. I'm sure I can bring it up since I basically panicked on the day of the test.

As for DO, I'm definitely keeping it as an option, but I want to pursue MD if there is even a chance for me.

I can't take classes in my graduating college anymore since it is out of state, but I may take undergraduate classes in the institution near my home, where I will live. I think it limits me to 10 credits a semester though because its non-degree.

I just calculated out that my sGPA will end up at 3.3 at an upward trend. Does this change things?

33+ MCAT for MD....Strong ECs.

Hello all,

I have graduated and after calculating my AMCAS and BCPM GPA I am now at a 3.3 AMCAS and 3.2 BCPM. I'm working at a private office in a hospital this year, while taking some evening classes this upcoming semester to boost my GPA (which won't budge :/)... My question is: Will a masters degree in a challenging science still help me? And if so, does it matter which school I receive it from (as my in-state local school is significantly cheaper than a nice name private school)? Or is SMP my only hope?

Also, I am padding my app with even more clinical experience... how much until its enough?

As always, thank you so much for your help!

For MD you'll need a 33+ on the mcat. Or for DO you'll need a 28+( retaking yours is still probably a good choice, but DO's don't usually have auto cuttoffs). SMP is an option but only one if you are totally against DO and have 30k+ laying around ( along with a 30+ on the mcat).