idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
citi discover chase sallie

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
i'd go with sallie or citi, probably, depending on rate.

clinicallabguy

PGY5 Oto-HNS
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2008
CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I chose Discover, because at the time they were the only ones that I could find without any origination or other fees. Ask your financial aid office at your school what things you ought to look for.

In the future it will be the guarantor and not the lender that you will be dealing with. So, you may want to call the guaruntor and see how easy it is to get a hold of a person, and how well they can answer questions.

OP
H
Jul 5, 2009
Status
Would interest rates for all these be the same?
It doesn't explicitly say anywhere.. I just know there's a 6.8% limit for unsubsidized

btw, I was going to go with Discover... but I realized I have a citi credit card... does this matter?

Last edited:

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
i'd go with citi then. if you do certain things in the citi network some of their rewards are pretty sweet.

Kong Bu

화이팅!~~
Jun 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I chose Citi. My undergraduate institution recommended it as well, but I didn't choose it because of that.

I just read and heard from my brother's friend that Citibank is a good choice for undergraduates. Generally the interest rates aren't too high and their payment plan option is decent as well.

guestdoc

School Again X 2
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2008
Locked in, c/o 2013
Status
Medical Student
Isn't the interest rate for a Stafford loan (subs. and un-subs.) set at 6.8%?? :confused:

So shopping for rates should only be an issue when you are looking for additional gradplus loans, right?

Kong Bu

화이팅!~~
Jun 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Isn't the interest rate for a Stafford loan (subs. and un-subs.) set at 6.8%?? :confused:

So shopping for rates should only be an issue when you are looking for additional gradplus loans, right?
And private loans as well.

guestdoc

School Again X 2
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2008
Locked in, c/o 2013
Status
Medical Student
So for the Stafford loans, most lenders are the same rate (6.8% just differences in fees), and for GradPlus loans the rates are higher. Private loans (to supplement the Stafford loans) vary in rates, so shop around more to find the best lender. What are the rates for private student loans nowadays, or where is a good place to check them?