Not Taking Labs Until After Applying -- ER Scribe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahcoco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken a few labs but I want to take most of them after applying (next year) because I've accepted an ER scribe position that will take up 20+ hours a week, on average. I figure the lecture will give me most of the info I need to study for the MCAT and all, but how will med schools see this? I really want this position because I want to learn what being in the hospital is like and have the opportunity to see how doctors do what they do every day.

Also, is there a limit to how many classes you can apply to med school without?

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken a few labs but I want to take most of them after applying (next year) because I've accepted an ER scribe position that will take up 20+ hours a week, on average. I figure the lecture will give me most of the info I need to study for the MCAT and all, but how will med schools see this? I really want this position because I want to learn what being in the hospital is like and have the opportunity to see how doctors do what they do every day.

Also, is there a limit to how many classes you can apply to med school without?

Being a scribe is wonderful, but don't let it get in the way of your studies. I took 3 labs one semester while working as a scribe (16 hours/week) and it was manageable.

I have this feeling medical schools won't care when you take the labs as long as they're completed before you matriculate and you do well on the MCAT. I did, however, think orgo lab was helpful for the MCAT because it made me solidify experimental knowledge.

Being a scribe is the best thing I have ever done. I love it, but dont let it affect your schooling. The thing about scribing is that the more you scribe the easier it gets. I have a FT course load and work 38 hours a week scribing. You should not have a problem, just make sure you are organized and have good time management.