Not taking Orgo Lab before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school orgo lab is an additional 2 credit course taken after orgo 1 and 2. I can take it the semester before I apply, however it would give me a really full load. If pushing it back until the next fall, after my application is submitted, would hurt me in any way I will suck it up and take it. However, if it is completely irrelevant I will wait. What do you think? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

At my school orgo lab is an additional 2 credit course taken after orgo 1 and 2. I can take it the semester before I apply, however it would give me a really full load. If pushing it back until the next fall, after my application is submitted, would hurt me in any way I will suck it up and take it. However, if it is completely irrelevant I will wait. What do you think? Thanks!

You don't need to take it before you apply but you do need to have it completed before you start medical school. So you can take it whenever you have a chance between now and your first day of med school.

You don't need to take it before you apply but you do need to have it completed before you start medical school. So you can take it whenever you have a chance between now and your first day of med school.

+1

However, Orgo is a tough, normally considered weed out class. Med schools might think you didnt take it to save your GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
My school is the same way. I took ochem 1 and 2 my sophomore year, then due to scheduling issues I didn't take the lab until last semester. I had my first acceptance long before I even had a grade for the lab.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

I didn't take physics 2, but I am taking it this semester. I took the mcat and applied and had an interview. I haven't been accepted yet. It gave me something to talk about how I taught myself physics 2 during my interview.

I didn't take physics 2, but I am taking it this semester. I took the mcat and applied and had an interview. I haven't been accepted yet. It gave me something to talk about how I taught myself physics 2 during my interview.

I also applied and was accepted at a handful of schools without even taking Physics II class or lab. I think not having a lab won't be too big of a deal to adcoms. If anyone asks, just tell them there was a scheduling issue.
Good luck