Not talking about research in PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necessary to mention research in personal statement?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No if you have other significant activities non-research/clinical/nonclinical

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • OF COURSE?

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

yoyoyoyoyolee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be okay to not talk about research experiences in PS? I unfortunately do not think that research led me to pursue medicine although the activity was meaningful(which I will note in AMCAS activities section)

I have extensive research experiences but other experiences have led me to pursue medicine more. I know medicine combines academics, research, b ut yeah...

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You pretty much answered your own question. If it doesn't answer the question "Why medicine?" I think it's fine to leave it out of the PS. You can talk about the experience and what you gained from it in the activities section.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessary, you can just make your research entry a most-meaningful and talk about it in detail there.

In my own experience, it was absolutely not necessary. My research was one of my most meaningful activities, but I used my PS to highlight things that were more related to the clinical side of things. My research still came up at all of my interviews (I interviewed at mostly research heavy schools) and the school I ultimately decided to attend told me it was the biggest reason I got in, so not having it in the PS definitely doesn't take away from its value IMO.

In my own experience, it was absolutely not necessary. My research was one of my most meaningful activities, but I used my PS to highlight things that were more related to the clinical side of things. My research still came up at all of my interviews (I interviewed at mostly research heavy schools) and the school I ultimately decided to attend told me it was the biggest reason I got in, so not having it in the PS definitely doesn't take away from its value IMO.
You mean research to them was the biggest reason?