Not the typical medical school applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chardex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I started college 9 years ago I had no idea what I wanted to do. I changed my major multiple times. I attended 6 different undergraduate institutions earning almost 200 credit hours. I have 17 W's and 1 D. I finally graduated with a degree in Liberal Studies. I found my way into EMS, became a paramedic, and worked in Fire and EMS for 4 years. Left that to pursue an opportunity with a police department where I currently work as a patrol officer and also as the Special Operations (SWAT team) Medic.

I enjoy the heck out of emergency medicine and want to go further. I decided to go back to school full time (while working full time) and started taking pre-req's for med school. I went for 1.5 years full time and made all A's.
Currently I have a 3.53 overall GPA and a 3.68 science GPA. Haven't taken the MCAT yet. I have about a year of volunteering with Red Cross and have done a little shadowing.

Where do I stand? What kind of MCAT will I need to be competitive? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd aim for an MCAT of 32+.

Your Primary application will portray someone who has trouble making up their mind. Be sure that adcomms will have no cause to believe you'll choose yet another career path four years from now.