Not to be cynical…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyJubilee8_18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been reading these threads for a little while now
(especially the “Not to be cheesy” thread) and I
realized we are all really freakin pretentious!
Everyone talks about “the real deal” as if we are all
auditioning to be Neo from The Matrix. It’s as if we
are a group of intellectual and benevolent
supper-human beings who are willing to sacrifice
ourselves so that we can “help others”. Why does being
a doctor have to be a “calling”? Why are we so damn
special? Is that really what this pre-med thing is
about or is it that life just doesn’t seem worth
living without being promised the gentile caress of
society’s collective lips on one’s a$$? If you want to
meet someone who has a concept of self-sacrifice, talk
the social worker who spends hours on end trying to
find homes for the kids who no one seems to want. You
never hear about those people until they mess up one
of the hundreds of cases they get each year. No one
pats them on the back and no one assumes that they are
somehow privileged for their unyielding need to help
others- people actually look down on them! I really
don’t think that the choice to practice medicine is as
selfless as some would have you believe. We are
preparing to be society’s “smart kids” and that’s all
we’ve been for our entire lives. We are the
overachievers and finally instead of middle school
jocks throwing spit wads at us or the *****ic sorority
girls “not getting” the reason why we study all the
time, we have the chance to be appreciated.
Furthermore, we get to pretend that our primary motive
is to help people! Finally we win! We win appreciation
and apparently the power to judge. The closer you get
to being a doctor, the more opportunities you get to
point the finger. You can judge people’s motives and
you can present the mystical image of “the real deal”
to those of us who couldn’t possibly comprehend what
that is. Even if you are a lowly pre-med you can at
least point the finger at those around you! We have
created a group of individuals collectively
proclaiming, “I have better stats, more experience, or
purer motives; I am special.” It’s nauseating really.
We are not special, but we are skilled. Being a doctor
just is what it is- irregardless of your intentions.
Now that this academic year is winding down we should
all take some time to get over ourselves. Just my
$0.02

Members don't see this ad.

speak for urself....

i am special dammit

:)

but i do admit. SDN does sometimes lack humility

Members don't see this ad :)
Ironic, isn't it, since you're pointing the finger at people pointing the finger?

And thus I point the finger at you. How deep does the rabbit hole go? :laugh:

LadyJubilee8_18,

I already have an idea, but just out of curiousity, how do you rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10? :smuggrin:

LadyJubilee8_18, you kick butt, but maybe it's time to take a walk or something?
Yeah, I thought I was the ****. I'm white, I'm privileged, I'm over-educated, and the whole thing got me so depressed it landed me in the hospital.
I consider my blue pill "taken."
But yeah, we're pretentious. We could be in Angola with the Marborg virus. I mean having it, not being doctors ...

Lady, can see what you're saying. I like it when we can be self-critical; it improves us no matter what!

I'm one of those damn social workers, by the way, trying to find homes for kids! And it is frustrating as hell sometimes. Thank you for the kudos!

MoosePilot said:
Ironic, isn't it, since you're pointing the finger at people pointing the finger?

And thus I point the finger at you. How deep does the rabbit hole go? :laugh:

I point the finger at the finger that doesn't point at the finger... so, MoosePilot, is my finger pointing at you? Does my finger point at the finger that doesn't point at my finger?

:laugh: Okay okay, if you have an urge to punch me in the face right now, I concede... *closes eyes and grimaces*

:edit: nevermind what I say has no relevance and I'm going to go sit in a corner now for a while. p.s. I hope nobody punches me.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
a doctor have to be a “calling”? ...
$0.02

Why did you title this thread "Not to be cynical"? Anyone who has Happy Bunny as their avatar is inherently a cynical person.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
$0.02

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are obviously speaking about yourself and have realized (finally) that becoming a doctor is just becoming a doctor (it is what it is). We will have a specific duty that fits into the overall scheme of society. Teachers will teach, policemen/women will enforce the law, govt officials will be corrupt, and we as doctors will be doctors.
I guess you had an epiphany of some sort. But that's how I thought that it always works out. In the end, becoming a physician should not be considered any more special than becoming a teacher. Do ya catch my drift?

We are special. :) . The base of Maslow's pyramid of needs is survival and I for one think that health care professionals shoulder the greatest burden for providing that. More than safety professionals like firemen and police officers, more than teachers, more than farmers, etc.

I mean, I'm not demeaning teachers or farmers or police officers or insurance claim reps or whatever but there is no other profession that shoulders responsibility like some physician specialities...

USCTex said:
We are special. :) . The base of Maslow's pyramid of needs is survival and I for one think that health care professionals shoulder the greatest burden for providing that. More than safety professionals like firemen and police officers, more than teachers, more than farmers, etc.

I mean, I'm not demeaning teachers or farmers or police officers or insurance claim reps or whatever but there is no other profession that shoulders responsibility like some physician specialities...

Oh, whatever. We're not that damned important! And in fact, many professions shoulder a lot of responsibility. What if an engineer screws up a building? Lots of people might die, many more than if you screw up one surgery. And what if a researcher fails to understand the risks behind some new drug he develops? Again, much more catastrophic consequences. Doctors only work at the micro level with individuals. Besides that, many specialties don't deal in life-or-death situations. Besides ER and surgery, we're just pill-pushers, really.

Just a little advice for future posts:

Paragraph.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
USCTex said:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Policemen do a lot to ensure society is peaceful. It's to the point now where most people can't even conceive of a need to defend themselves longer than about 10 minutes. I think that's why gun control is advocated by so many, because they think they will always be protected by others.

As a pilot, I hold 100 lives in my hand at once. As soon as I take off, your fate is in my hand until I safely land. A commercial pilot does that over and over, multiple times a day.

we have to believe we are special. we have to believe that what we do and who we are is "so damn important". why? because our patients will. if you don't believe that you are making an impact or that you are doing something that not everyone can do, then how will your patients believe that you can save them or their loved one?

people will come to you in despiration hoping you can fix them. if you don't think that your job is more important than a high school teach or a cop then how will your patients in confidence that you can make their heart/kidneys/brain/body work normally? I believe doctors who think they are important exude confidence, they know their work is meaningful. They are more likely to asert themselves and do a better job.

what's wrong with some pride after working your butt off to get where you are? there is no shame in that, none what so ever.

if you still think doctors are highly respected in our society, you haven't honestly spoken to many doctors.

Ok I'll probably get flamed for this, but whatever. I completely disagree with you for a seperate point. We are selfless for this reason and this reason only. Social workers are doing great things and yes, along with many other workers, should be appreciated a lot more than they are. However, did the social worker spend a minimum of 11 years of his/her life in school and training before beginning a career? Did the social worker get into over 200,000 dollars in debt in order to be a social worker? No. It takes a lot to become an MD, more than is asked from most people these days in their career choices. SDNers are FUTURE doctors, so on this point, I may agree with you. Not all of us will make it so maybe we're pretentious for acting self-important before going through the entire process. However, (and maybe this is arrogant of me) I do not think you can put doctors in the same category as social workers for the aforementioned reasons. Interviewers tell applicants that want to help people to go be social workers. It takes a lot more to be a doctor because of the hardship involved in getting to that point.

rugirlie said:
Social workers are doing great things and yes, along with many other workers, should be appreciated a lot more than they are. However, did the social worker spend a minimum of 11 years of his/her life in school and training before beginning a career? Did the social worker get into over 200,000 dollars in debt in order to be a social worker?

Of course social workers haven't spent 11 years of their lives in training, but anyone holding a Master's in Social Work has spent at least 6 years in school to become a social worker, and if one compares the salary that the average social worker makes (probably somewhere in the $30,000s) to their debt out of school, I would wager it will take them approximately the same amount of years to get out of debt as it would a physician coming out of residency with $200,000 in loans.

My point is this: the experience of any one profession in the allied health fields really cannot be compared to any of the other professions they work with and rely on. My father, a social worker, has great respect for physicians and is proud of the path I have chosen, but I guarantee you he rests easily at night knowing that what he does contributes to society in a very meaningful way. I only hope that when I finish residency I can feel the same kind of peace with my career.

getunconcsious said:
Oh, whatever. We're not that damned important! And in fact, many professions shoulder a lot of responsibility. What if an engineer screws up a building? Lots of people might die, many more than if you screw up one surgery.
That person's life you save could have been the engineer's.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
$0.02

By the small chance that you actually make it through premed, you should come back and rethink this topic after you have graduated high school and matured by about 8 years :rolleyes:

rugirlie said:
Ok I'll probably get flamed for this, but whatever. I completely disagree with you for a seperate point. We are selfless for this reason and this reason only. Social workers are doing great things and yes, along with many other workers, should be appreciated a lot more than they are. However, did the social worker spend a minimum of 11 years of his/her life in school and training before beginning a career? Did the social worker get into over 200,000 dollars in debt in order to be a social worker? No. It takes a lot to become an MD, more than is asked from most people these days in their career choices. SDNers are FUTURE doctors, so on this point, I may agree with you. Not all of us will make it so maybe we're pretentious for acting self-important before going through the entire process. However, (and maybe this is arrogant of me) I do not think you can put doctors in the same category as social workers for the aforementioned reasons. Interviewers tell applicants that want to help people to go be social workers. It takes a lot more to be a doctor because of the hardship involved in getting to that point.

But in the end, we all play important roles in this society.

riceman04 said:
But in the end, we all play important roles in this society.

Oh of course!! I'm not saying that a doctor is more important than a social worker. I just mean that I feel doctors have the right to be proud of their title because they certainly put years of effort and money into earning it. Self-sacrifice IS a big part of becoming a doctor is my point, contrary to the OP's feelings about it.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Being a doctor

I have to nip this one in the bud. "Irregardless" is not a word. Please don't use it.

Lady, you're totally on point with your original post, people are afraid to admit. Don't you love how everone begins analyzing your post and suggests that you are projecting feelings about yourself onto others?!? They have no idea what they're talking about. Great post. :thumbup:

Hey Lady,

I liked your post too, thanks for the insight!

Hey Lady,

I did not like your post. A very unprofessional private crusade made public which has deemed you a Troll in my 'SDNer' mind.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
$0.02

Very very true. The one thing I have learned to appreciate after going through medical school is professional skill, regardless of the job. A good haircutter, builder, or other tradesperson is something to be appreciated. Not everyone is "called" to put up with the egos and attitudes found here. Just look around, look how many handle names are based on medical terminology. Give me a break! Where is the creativity in that!? It's a job people, unless you are surgeon in which case I amazed you have time to even see this.

fun8stuff said:
By the small chance that you actually make it through premed, you should come back and rethink this topic after you have graduated high school and matured by about 8 years :rolleyes:

...I am a premed, in fact I'm a junior and I'm about to start applying. I have a 3.7 GPA and though I don't have my MCAT scores back yet, I will probably get in somewhere. I'm an URM. I didn’t exclude myself from those statements I made. I just wanted to make the point that:

1) We are not there yet! After med school we should have more pride, but for right now its just annoying.

2) Lots of people save lives, we shouldn’t think we are better than any of those other people (i.e. social workers).

3) For some people, being a doctor is a calling but by the same token, being a mechanic is a calling for others. No profession is necessarily a calling for everyone involved, so try not to beat people over the head for their "motives"

I'm sorry if my attempt to bring people back down to earth makes me "immature" in your eyes but like a said before; being a doctor is what it is- a career choice. It’s a way to market a set of skills. If you believe it’s more than that, good for you but don’t get mad when others don’t feel the same way and don’t think that you are better than the people who save lives but spend less money trying to become a professional.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
1) We are not there yet! After med school we should have more pride, but for right now its just annoying.

Brilliant statement! Finally a premed that doesn't perpetuate the movie versions of premeds (such as in Van Wilder, Harold and Kumar, . . .)

There is much room for humility in medicine and I believe you will do well. You do not carry the burdens of arrogance and self-entitlement, so you're ahead of the majority of posters on SDN. I gotta tell ya, I also loved this quote, "We are not special, but we are skilled." Bravo! :thumbup:

Come on, it'd be no fun if pre-med and med students were actually humble and nice people.

prana_md said:
LadyJubilee8_18, you kick butt, but maybe it's time to take a walk or something?
Yeah, I thought I was the ****. I'm white, I'm privileged, I'm over-educated, and the whole thing got me so depressed it landed me in the hospital.
I consider my blue pill "taken."
But yeah, we're pretentious. We could be in Angola with the Marborg virus. I mean having it, not being doctors ...
lovely avatar. but just wonderin why u withdrew from all those places?

you know, i think this exact thing was taught in my philosophy class. the teacher posed the question if you were in an ancient civilization and one person had to be killed. the best barber in town or a doctor-which one would it be. and we argued for a while...hmm. still haven't figured out the "right" answer.

SDNers- i know what your answer is gonna be :laugh:

virilep said:
oh man, i didn't even catch that this person wasn't in college/the application process. good investigative work Watson.

But she IS in college! She just told you she's a junior and took the MCAT. You guys are *****s if you think this conjecture is 'good detective work'!

i just changed my post. i read the first page and then read her reply. thanks sherlock. hahaha

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
...I am a premed, in fact I'm a junior and I'm about to start applying. I have a 3.7 GPA and though I don't have my MCAT scores back yet, I will probably get in somewhere. I'm an URM. I didn’t exclude myself from those statements I made. I just wanted to make the point that:

2) Lots of people save lives, we shouldn’t think we are better than any of those other people (i.e. social workers).

3) For some people, being a doctor is a calling but by the same token, being a mechanic is a calling for others. No profession is necessarily a calling for everyone involved, so try not to beat people over the head for their "motives"

I'm sorry if my attempt to bring people back down to earth makes me "immature" in your eyes but like a said before; being a doctor is what it is- a career choice. It’s a way to market a set of skills. If you believe it’s more than that, good for you but don’t get mad when others don’t feel the same way and don’t think that you are better than the people who save lives but spend less money trying to become a professional.

well i must apologize for sounding rude... i was not feeling well and not in my right mind. although i think some of what you are saying does sound a bit naive, but I do believe it is merely a career and I do agree there are many other careers where you can help people. Mainly, I feel it is kind of pointless to argue about any of this- I don't see the point. If some people want to think a certain way, let them. I don't really car. I also don't see the point of you giving your gpa... but anyways, best of wishes to you.

Lady OP, I agree w/you totally- but don't expect the people you are talking about to understand ;)

LadyJubilee8_18 said:

:rolleyes:

No one is going to claim being a doctor is a calling for everyone but you find me someone who wanted to be a janitor since they were 10...until then realize that there is a heirarchy to the world, don't be overly politically correct and try to preach equality amongst the masses. Just deal with the fact that some people are more valuable to society than others...it is a fact of life.

USCTex said:
:rolleyes:

No one is going to claim being a doctor is a calling for everyone but you find me someone who wanted to be a janitor since they were 10...until then realize that there is a heirarchy to the world, don't be overly politically correct and try to preach equality amongst the masses. Just deal with the fact that some people are more valuable to society than others...it is a fact of life.

i agree... but i have a hard time understanding the importance of this argument in general. why does it matter what other people think? can't u just say F*** them, and as long as their way of thinking doesn't negatively affect me or anyone else, i don't really care.

If some people want to feel that their are special bc they are docs, so be it. If some people want to feel that they are docs but not anymore important than anyone else... so be it. Who cares? :confused:

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
If you believe it’s more than that, good for you but don’t get mad when others don’t feel the same way and don’t think that you are better than the people who save lives but spend less money trying to become a professional.

Congratulations for writing the World's Most Hypocritical Statement. Aren't you the one that posted the original rant and went off on the self-important people of SDN? Quite frankly, I don't really get the feeling that people on here think they're better than the rest of society - I certainly don't. I know I will be making an important contribution to society, that I deserve to be proud of myself, and that damn straight I'm special. Who are you to be telling anyone how to think and act? Seems to me like your self-righteous tirade makes you just as bad as the people you're criticizing.

I agree that if you have a condescending attitude towards people in different occupations, you might not go as far in life cuz eventually that attitude will come bite you in the arse. I haven't heard of fellow SDNers berating other occupations though. Maybe that's just your own perception.

Iwy Em Hotep said:
That person's life you save could have been the engineer's.

And the engineer's work could have saved a hundred doctors that have passed through his building, who each save x number of people. Life is a web and we all support and care for each other.

Realest said:
Congratulations for writing the World's Most Hypocritical Statement. Aren't you the one that posted the original rant and went off on the self-important people of SDN? Quite frankly, I don't really get the feeling that people on here think they're better than the rest of society - I certainly don't. I know I will be making an important contribution to society, that I deserve to be proud of myself, and that damn straight I'm special. Who are you to be telling anyone how to think and act? ... Maybe that's just your own perception.

Yes, that IS her perception, that was the point of the "rant"... congratulations for being captain obvious

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Why are we so damn
society’s collective lips on one’s a$$?

I've never really cared for Gentiles, actually.

yposhelley said:

:laugh: Hahaha ha ha ha.... ooooh brother :thumbdown:

nico05 said:
Yes, that IS her perception, that was the point of the "rant"... congratulations for being captain obvious

Hi. Yeh. Big difference between perception and reality kiddo. And you misinterpreted that last line. I should have written "Maybe that's just your PERCEPTION," to make it more obvious (afterall, I am the captain!). I wasn't questioning if it was her opinion or not. I was saying that it was unfounded because not everyone gets the same impression from SDN.

yposhelley said:

:) Gentiles can be gentle.

Originally Posted by yposhelley

Gentiles can be gentle.
Not unless they've had a satisfying supper ;)

Originally Posted by LadyJubilee8_18
It’s as if we
ourselves so that we can “help others”.

getunconcsious said:
This $hit is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
:clap: :hardy:

You know, I had a banana for lunch. It was nice.