MD & DO Not-Trad with great stats (minus GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strick09

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: (Undergrad) cGPA: 3.22 (DO) sGPA: 3.4 (MD) sGPA: 3.0 Graduate GPA: 3.76 (Masters in Biotech with thesis)
Strong upward trend in my GPA (string of C's when one of my troops died due to drug OD after starting at my college. kinda messed me up a little, also was in a bad car wreck later that year) also some of my courses that count on my science classes are about 10 years old.... (but not enough that it would truly help haha)

1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 510: 127,126,130,127
  2. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Florida
  3. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  4. Undergraduate institution or category: State College
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
Clinical Volunteering: 275 hours volunteering at local ED

Non-Clinical: over 600 hours total

Helped start a club that offers free blood pressure monitoring to homeless and links them with free medical treatment. (Officer for 2 years) Spent about 300-400 hours with this. Also started clothing drive and got about 1,200 warm clothing items for the local homeless population. We also worked to get things like bug spray for the summer etc.

Local food share for the homeless: about 85 hours over a year

Managed the undergraduate volunteers for a COM event 2 years in a row. it was for global health initiatives
Was an officer (started another club) previous to other club. Global medical brigades, but only spent a year with the club as when I discovered what the actual trip did for the local population (or lack there of) I could not support the group. It irked me because I use to live in the country they were going to and I felt like there was no true aide to the location they went to and all of the selfies posted on the social media bugged me as well. so long story short seems like the Brigades clubs are pay to play for a check box on feeling good about yourself and app. (note I did not have the 2k needed for the trip and did not attend) Honestly, it felt more about the volunteers than it did about the people they were helping. Also, there was not much medical care given and they "taught" the local people how to brush their teeth properly.... I lived there, they know how to brush their teeth, they just lack the funds for proper dental care. Sorry for the rant
  1. Research experience and productivity
Undergrad: Research in Biochem lab about 300 hours over 1 yearish no pub

Grad research: been there for about 2k hours or more (haven't really sat down to calculate the hours. but its on average at least 20-30 hours a week. I am second author on a paper we published in JBC and am currently starting 2 more papers (but they will not be submitted or accepted prior to the end of this year). Basically discovered a novel catalase in TB and further characterization of the protein is my masters thesis. I also work in drug discovery for C. Diff.

1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: around 80 hours total (still shadowing now) 40 hours DO family med, 40 hours ER, on the docket Surgery and DO family practice.
  2. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Military service: USAF 10 years got out due to injury. Enlisted and rank held was Staff Sergeant (mid level management). I worked on navigational and meteorological equipment and managed an office of 13 people. Troubleshoot, install, and removed the systems (requires high troubleshooting skills)

I am the undergraduate research coordinator for the university Excel program. I run their Steminar and grade their papers, while also assisting them with finding a lab for their two semester research experience. I also manage their pay approval. (began this in spring)

Lab manager for my lab; I am responsible for equipment training, purchase orders, and lab maintenance (Apr 2017 to present and will continue until I leave)
  1. Relevant honors or awards
Officer of the Year from club
Best 3-minute thesis presentation at micro conference.
Innovator of the year award (military last base)
Best debut performer ( european community theater while stationed in Italy)
sprinkle presidents list and deans list (but I dont think I will actually include them in my app lol)
  1. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Married, no kids
Speak Spanish (conversationally not fluent), Italian (Basics to get me around)
Lived in central america for 1 year and europe for 2.5

Finally, I need to build a list for MD and DO schools for this cycle and it is hard to do so with my grab bag of stats and the fact I am not a typical applicant. Any help would be amazing and appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for many DO schools. I suggest all these with your stats:
NSU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM