1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Not using the premed committee letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Blitzkrieg, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

How detrimental is it to one's application if they choose not to use this letter? My committee has yet to meet, and I requested back in april! I want to get my applications completed, and all that lacks is the letter. It may not be til well into october.....help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kiping

kiping Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i think that alot of people are in a similar situation to yours. i think that i would wait for the committee letter. i am sure med schools realixe that committees take a bit of time to send out their letters. i am waiting for mine too.

4. Kermie

Kermie Member
    7+ Year Member

Blitzkrieg - I am also waiting for my committee letter and I don't think it will be ready until October (and I submitted my stuff a while ago as well). But I think you should wait and use it. Last year when I applied I did not use my pre-med committee and I had to write an explanation to most schools as to why I am not using it. Many schools were OK with it since I graduated in 96, but I think most prefer the committee letter especially if you are a recent graduate (or in school). Maybe you can talk to your committee and voice your concerns? When I spoke with my pre-med advisor about the committee letter, it seemed that I was at a slight disadvantage by not using the committee last year. Some schools view it as - you are not getting the support of your undergrad institution while applying.

5. kiping

kiping Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i agree with kermie. i know that in my program certain requirements are needed in order to get the premed committee rec- so if you jump the gun and don't use the committee letter- schools may be suspecious. don't worry about it coming out in oct. remember that many people haven't even started applying yet. you are still ahead of the game- ;)

6. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

I don't know anything about how the whole premed committee letter works, so this question may not apply--why can't you just send in the individual letters to schools to look at and ask them to await your premed committee letter? Once that comes in, they can make a more thoroguh review of your file.
    Explain to schols how it's taking extra long and you want to get your file reviewed. I am sure they may have some addendum to their protocol to help you guys in such situations.

Why is that not possible?

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

hmm..

well, I already went with some schools by writing them a note to explain....

I dont see why we need a comm letter, if the individual ones will give them a complete idea of us..the committee usually is made up of ppl that are not familiar with us...

oh well. I'm def. waiting for about 6 of my schools..but I had to write a note for 3 of my schoools......on the phone, they admired that I would like to get my things in quickly, since they are rolling admissions....

one odd thing: I called Pritzker, and they said that I dont need the comm letter..yet, on their secondary, it says that i fwe dont use the comm, to write a mini-essay as it why...

Will not using the comm letter keep me out of med school from a specific place!?!!? :confused:

8. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

9. The Hulk

The Hulk Official Green Monster
    7+ Year Member

I'd say treat each app individually; since they have different deadlines and different types of admission (rolling vs non, for example) wait for a letter on those for whom waiting won't definately hurt your chances. I know someone who got into cornell MD/PhD without a comm letter (but then again, with his gpa and MCAT, I don't know if her really needed much recommendation at all)......

10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

true...I am def. waiting on some schools..

other ones, that say it is ok as long I provide a letter..I dont think it will deny me admission, do you? I guess I took a chance on those schools..I hope it pays off in the end...I would give my......to go to UVA or Yale..heck, georgetown would be great..ANY SCHOOL WOULD BE GREAT!

:p

11. Kermie

Kermie Member
    7+ Year Member

I know of many people who got into medical school without using the committee letter, so don't worry about it too much. All I was saying before is that it helps to use them, but I don't think they would reject you based on the fact that you did not use the committee.