Not using the premed committee letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Blitzkrieg, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member

How detrimental is it to one's application if they choose not to use this letter? My committee has yet to meet, and I requested back in april! I want to get my applications completed, and all that lacks is the letter. It may not be til well into october.....help!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kiping

kiping Senior Member

i think that alot of people are in a similar situation to yours. i think that i would wait for the committee letter. i am sure med schools realixe that committees take a bit of time to send out their letters. i am waiting for mine too.

4. Kermie

Kermie Member

Blitzkrieg - I am also waiting for my committee letter and I don't think it will be ready until October (and I submitted my stuff a while ago as well). But I think you should wait and use it. Last year when I applied I did not use my pre-med committee and I had to write an explanation to most schools as to why I am not using it. Many schools were OK with it since I graduated in 96, but I think most prefer the committee letter especially if you are a recent graduate (or in school). Maybe you can talk to your committee and voice your concerns? When I spoke with my pre-med advisor about the committee letter, it seemed that I was at a slight disadvantage by not using the committee last year. Some schools view it as - you are not getting the support of your undergrad institution while applying.

5. kiping

kiping Senior Member

i agree with kermie. i know that in my program certain requirements are needed in order to get the premed committee rec- so if you jump the gun and don't use the committee letter- schools may be suspecious. don't worry about it coming out in oct. remember that many people haven't even started applying yet. you are still ahead of the game- ;)

6. Tweetie_bird

I don't know anything about how the whole premed committee letter works, so this question may not apply--why can't you just send in the individual letters to schools to look at and ask them to await your premed committee letter? Once that comes in, they can make a more thoroguh review of your file.
    Explain to schols how it's taking extra long and you want to get your file reviewed. I am sure they may have some addendum to their protocol to help you guys in such situations.

Why is that not possible?

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member

hmm..

well, I already went with some schools by writing them a note to explain....

I dont see why we need a comm letter, if the individual ones will give them a complete idea of us..the committee usually is made up of ppl that are not familiar with us...

oh well. I'm def. waiting for about 6 of my schools..but I had to write a note for 3 of my schoools......on the phone, they admired that I would like to get my things in quickly, since they are rolling admissions....

one odd thing: I called Pritzker, and they said that I dont need the comm letter..yet, on their secondary, it says that i fwe dont use the comm, to write a mini-essay as it why...

Will not using the comm letter keep me out of med school from a specific place!?!!? :confused:

8. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member

9. The Hulk

The Hulk Official Green Monster

I'd say treat each app individually; since they have different deadlines and different types of admission (rolling vs non, for example) wait for a letter on those for whom waiting won't definately hurt your chances. I know someone who got into cornell MD/PhD without a comm letter (but then again, with his gpa and MCAT, I don't know if her really needed much recommendation at all)......

10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member

true...I am def. waiting on some schools..

other ones, that say it is ok as long I provide a letter..I dont think it will deny me admission, do you? I guess I took a chance on those schools..I hope it pays off in the end...I would give my......to go to UVA or Yale..heck, georgetown would be great..ANY SCHOOL WOULD BE GREAT!

:p

11. Kermie

Kermie Member

I know of many people who got into medical school without using the committee letter, so don't worry about it too much. All I was saying before is that it helps to use them, but I don't think they would reject you based on the fact that you did not use the committee.