Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Not Volunteering-a disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by MissBella, May 1, 2007.

1. MissBella

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi,
    I've been volunteering in a pharmacy for a year now, but I've recently stopped volunteering b/c I'm taking on a second job in a lab. Would it be a disadvantage for me on paper if I'm not volunteering in the pharmacy at the time I'm applying? I'm planning to take the PTCB this August, and if I were to pass the exam, it will take a couple of months before I become fully certified. Is there a way for me to put this on the application to show I'm in the process of getting certified? Thanks you'all.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ageldred

ageldred Member

Pharmacy Student
    In my opinion I think you'll be ok with stopping the volunteering. Everyone has bills to pay so adcoms should be understanding as to why you took on a paying job, plus it's a lab job so that should look good too. You were there for a year so that shows you were committed and not just trying to get a minimum of volunteering hours. As for how to say you're applying for the PTCE perhaps on the supplemental apps there will be a slot but I don't see that on Pharmcas unless I am blind (the app is not editable now so I can't really tell...maybe others could help out). Good luck MissBella.

4. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    I agree. The fact that you've volunteered at all will be a positive note on your application, granted the longer the better, and the more recent the better, but still if you've got 3 mos+, and the fact that by August it will have been only 3-4 months ago won't make that big of a difference. Especially if by that time you're PTCB certified.

5. daoismz

daoismz Pharmacy Student

Pharmacy Student
    it doesn't really matter if you volunteer a long time or a short time in a pharmacy, but you had better get something out of it. If you volunteer every week for 4 hours, do your stuff and go home (for the entire year) and learned absolutely nothing about what a pharmacist does OR what the pharmacy environment is like, then it's pointless (and the one year of volunteering was just a waste).

But like the person above me said, just looking at your application, it's better to have pharmacy experience than none.

6. StringTheorist

Pharmacist
    it would be ok if you stopped, they'll see that ur involved with something else at the time. also, once you have experience, thats all that matters... that you had it.

7. MissBella

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks guys/gals for the replies. I did learn a lot from the compounding pharmacy where I volunteered. I even got a job offer from the place. It's just that the schedule was not flexible with school and the pay was not as good as working in the lab. I do think I have good reasons to stop volunteering. I just hope I won't be looked over just b/c I'm not currently volunteering/involving in a pharmacy.