Not waiving right to read LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moop

1K Member
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious– Is this really bad? Do committees care about this? Has anyone done this before? What are the costs and possible risks to doing so?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bad idea. It basically says "I'm not sure what they said about me and I'm not confident in what they think of me"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is rare. Don't do it.
Oh no lol I'm not thinking of doing it. Just curious. This is just another episode of "2 am premed thoughts" after too much excitement over the Heat beating the Nets with a late surge rally.

How does the school even know if you've seen?
They will be informed and it says on AMCAS. Most UG committees Will also ask if you've waived the right (especially those with an LOR service), and they will pass that on.

Unofficial seeing the letter because your prof is awesome obv wouldn't be known.

I was going to say...just because I waive my RIGHT to something doesn't mean I can't have it. It just means I can't demand it/expect to get it!

None of the LOR will be taken seriously. They are compromised because by knowing that the requester has not waived the right to see the letter's content, the writer will be inhibited from being truthful. Capeesh?

Curious– Is this really bad? Do committees care about this? Has anyone done this before? What are the costs and possible risks to doing so?