MD & DO Not Your Average

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeterminedSoul

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Age 18: 4 year college, 4x withdraw no grade. Great grandfather got sick and also I hated living away from home.

Age 19-25: worked full time, primary caregiver of my great grandpa, attended two online colleges off and on (university of phoenix + ashford university) with 83 credit hours @ 2.3 cGPA (only 2 science classes thank god). At this point I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life.

Age 26-28: got my RN at a local community college + completed 100% of the pre-reqs for med school. Unfortunately everything was at CC level but it was all I could afford. I took the pre-reqs in addition to the similar nursing classes. All in all, I had 108 credit hours at 3.8 cGPA (and 3.85 sGPA). While doing this, I worked in a hospital as a Health Information Technician (and later Manager) full time. I also volunteer 4-8 hours per week at a hospital hospice ward working directly with patients. Married + 2 kids. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at two years old which led me to nursing and ultimately medicine at the beginning of this time.

Age 28-30:
got my BSN at a local 4 year state college. Also took organic chem here. Another ~30 credit hours at 3.8 cGPA. While doing this, I worked in a hospital as a Health Information Technician full time. I also volunteer 4-8 hours per week at a hospital hospice ward working directly with patients. +1 additional kid.

Final Stats:
3.2~ cGPA, 3.75 sGPA with over 220 credit hours total.
~3.8 cGPA for the past 4 years of college.
510 MCAT score.
RN, BSN
3 years working as an RN
6 years working in Health Information (closely with physicians)
~400 hours hospital level hospice volunteering
~200 hours MD/DO shadowing

Now that I'm done with all that I have no clue what to do? Do I have a shot at MD? I live in Ohio so there are a lot of MD schools in state. If not, what are my chances of getting into a DO? I'm happy with MD or DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. Include OU-HCOM, MU-COM, WVSOM and LECOM. For MD you have a chance at some of your state schools including Toledo, Wright State and NEOMED.

You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. Include OU-HCOM, MU-COM, WVSOM and LECOM. For MD you have a chance at some of your state schools including Toledo, Wright State and NEOMED.

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful and encouraging. Much of what I have read says I have no chance with my cGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful and encouraging. Much of what I have read says I have no chance with my cGPA.
Young pre-meds often don't understand that there's a difference between what they bring and what non-trads bring to the table. Some schools, particularly DO schools, appreciate the life experience that has been amassed by older students. While our raw stats may not always be quite as impressive, we have years of experience working with others, learning other things, and maturing before going to med school. One isn't necessarily better than the other, but it does bring a diversity of skills to a medical school that helps students learn from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.