Not your traditional "what are my chances" thread.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chessguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be as honest as I can about my situation with divulging personal information. I'm a college drop out. I decided to drop out after my 6th year in community college. The first 4 years I wasn't actually working at all. I didn't show up to classes. The last two years I really picked up my work. I really focuses and worked hard. I would get Bs my math classes (college algebra, and precalculus/trigonometry.) As in mostly everything else including biology. I had hopes of becoming an engineer because I really do have a craving to understand things. I hit my first honest troubles last summer. I became over confident and decided to take a 6 week calculus course along side a 12 week chemistry class. I quickly fell behind in both. I drop my calculus course and completely flunked my chemistry class. By the time I drop the calculus course I was too far behind in chemistry.

I'm considering going back although I'm not 100% sure I will. I'm turning 24 years old this year (which is embarrassing) and still don't have a degree or even close to a degree. I have 3 F's two of which have been "forgiven" and 3 Ws. My school offers grade "forgiveness", but I understand those are still very damaging to a transcript. There is only so long you can keep doing the same thing expecting a different result.

My current gpa is sub 3.0, but I've been to disgusted with myself to look it up.

Now for my question. Knowing myself, and my current grades. I could with maximum effort pull a 3.2 gpa (with grade "forgiveness") pre-medical and a mcat between 25-28.

Based on this could I even get into medical school? If not I would appreciate some input on things in general.

I'm not depressed, just tired of the rigmarole and need some friendly outside advice. Thank you for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am sorry to report that AMCAS will calculate your gpa with the F's even if your school has "forgiven" them. Your best bet (in addition to getting A's from now on) is to look up DO grade replacement in the pre-DO forum and start planning the long trek back.

I have 3 F's two of which have been "forgiven" and 3 Ws. My school offers grade "forgiveness", but I understand those are still very damaging to a transcript. There is only so long you can keep doing the same thing expecting a different result.

Grade forgiveness is not a good bet for MD programs. From AMCAS:
"If your school has an academic forgiveness policy and subsequently replaces the original grade received with a special transcript symbol the original grade regardless of whether or not it appears on the Official Transcript must be entered on your AMCAS application. If the original grade is not entered AMCAS will return your application to you to enter the original grade."

AACOMAS does allow grade replacement.

Now for my question. Knowing myself, an my current grades. I could with maximum effort pull a 3.2 gpa (with grade "forgiveness") pre-medical and a mcat between 25-28.

Based on this could I even get into medical school? If not I would appreciate some input on things in general.

I'm not depressed, just tired of the rigmarole and need some friendly outside advice. Thank you for listening.

Could you ever get into an MD program? It's difficult to say. Based on numbers alone, your chances aren't great. Could you get into a number of DO programs? Probably.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are M<d schools that reward reinvention. You're going to need to go back and ace everything from now on and ace the MCAT as well.

The quicker path will be via DO programs.

I'm going to be as honest as I can about my situation with divulging personal information. I'm a college drop out. I decided to drop out after my 6th year in community college. The first 4 years I wasn't actually working at all. I didn't show up to classes. The last two years I really picked up my work. I really focuses and worked hard. I would get Bs my math classes (college algebra, and precalculus/trigonometry.) As in mostly everything else including biology. I had hopes of becoming an engineer because I really do have a craving to understand things. I hit my first honest troubles last summer. I became over confident and decided to take a 6 week calculus course along side a 12 week chemistry class. I quickly fell behind in both. I drop my calculus course and completely flunked my chemistry class. By the time I drop the calculus course I was too far behind in chemistry.

I'm considering going back although I'm not 100% sure I will. I'm turning 24 years old this year (which is embarrassing) and still don't have a degree or even close to a degree. I have 3 F's two of which have been "forgiven" and 3 Ws. My school offers grade "forgiveness", but I understand those are still very damaging to a transcript. There is only so long you can keep doing the same thing expecting a different result.

My current gpa is sub 3.0, but I've been to disgusted with myself to look it up.

Now for my question. Knowing myself, an my current grades. I could with maximum effort pull a 3.2 gpa (with grade "forgiveness") pre-medical and a mcat between 25-28.

there is also Caribbean schools. Honestly not trying to be rude or anything, but its an option

there is also Caribbean schools. Honestly not trying to be rude or anything, but its an option
Given that by the time OP would graduate from medical school the number of US grads will be equal to or greater than the number of residency spots if current trends continue, Caribbean is not an option.

Given that by the time OP would graduate from medical school the number of US grads will be equal to or greater than the number of residency spots if current trends continue, Caribbean is not an option.
good point

Thank you everyone for responding.

I am sorry to report that AMCAS will calculate your gpa with the F's even if your school has "forgiven" them. Your best bet (in addition to getting A's from now on) is to look up DO grade replacement in the pre-DO forum and start planning the long trek back.

I looked into DO grade replacement. It seems like the most compelling option.

Grade forgiveness is not a good bet for MD programs. From AMCAS:
"If your school has an academic forgiveness policy and subsequently replaces the original grade received with a special transcript symbol the original grade regardless of whether or not it appears on the Official Transcript must be entered on your AMCAS application. If the original grade is not entered AMCAS will return your application to you to enter the original grade."

AACOMAS does allow grade replacement.

Could you ever get into an MD program? It's difficult to say. Based on numbers alone, your chances aren't great. Could you get into a number of DO programs? Probably.

This is encouraging. Thank you for the quote by the way.

This is doesn't seem viable for me. Sorry.

Texas has a "Fresh Start" option where you can start over ten years later and have none of the early grades count against you in the TMDSAS application process.

This is extremely interesting, but probably not something I can do.

Again, thank you everyone for the help. I appreciate your time and effort. If you have anymore thoughts on this feel free to respond. I want to hear and understand as much as I can about this before I make any sweeping decisions.

Last edited: