Notarized Letter of Intent?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NE_Cornhusker1, Feb 24, 2002.

1. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member

What do you think, I'm totally serious about this particular school and if accepted I would attend there. Would it be to over the top to get the letter notarized to show just how serious I am about attending?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member

It would freak them out and hurt your chances. Consider the position of the school. They have no shortage of applicants and can definitely pick from those that they like. If that person doesn't like them, then they'll just pick the next person that they like. Why would they care if you guaranteed them you'd come there? Would not admitting you cause them to be unable to fill their class? Not hardly! If they like you, they'll admit you. If not, they won't, regardless of how badly you want to be there. Sorry for the bluntness...I'm just really strongly against these letters of intent. If you wanted to go there so badly, you should have applied early decision and if the school doesn't have one of those programs...then that should point out to you quite clearly that the school isn't in need of people promising to attend there.

Unlike with early decision, the school now doesn't gain the benefits of filling their class very early. This is well along in the process and they've interviewed lots of people who they've got to pick from.

4. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'

Call the school, tell them what you want to do, and see what they say. This way you'll know.

5. choker

choker Senior Member

i disagree. i just came from a premed fair last week and heard first hand from two heads of admissions from top 20 schools that letters of intent are very good.

take from that what you will.

btw_ i think notarizing the letter is a great way for them to take notice of your application and i think they would get a kick out of it.

6. katiep

katiep Senior Member

Then again, adcoms may prefer to send out an offer to someone they know will accept. This increases their offer to acceptance ratio, which I understand matters a bit.

That said, I think it is a bit over the top to notorize it. The letter itself is binding enough. I don't think they'll sue you saying "but...it was NOTORIZED!" Make sure you want to go there no matter what, because if you get accepted somewhere else you'd rather go, and then turn the letter of intent school down, you may get into trouble later on down the line, like residencies or whatnot. I think the medical community is smaller than you might think, and you don't want to make a bad name for yourself.

7. none

none 1K Member

Offer to acceptance ratio? I've never heard that statistic before and I'm guessing it is guarded quite closely. Is it published somewhere? If not, what does it matter to anyone?

8. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member

i didnt read everyones replay to this, cuz i just had a long weekend. but you should send a letter in for sure. BUT u should not get it notarized. that's just strange to me. and ive realized through this process that if u have a gut feeling about something then you should go witht it. i have also read some letters of intent to some of the top med schools, they were not notarized. anyways. that's just my thoughts.

9. katiep

katiep Senior Member

Well, USNews for one.

For example, Harvard has 236 to 167 offer/accept ratio, whereas NYU, 427 to 160 offer/accept ratio. Presumably, for the same class size, people who get accepted at Harvard are much more likely to go there than at NYU. I suppose it reflects better on the ranking. If I was an adcom, it would matter to me.

10. none

none 1K Member

I stand corrected. Go right ahead and send that letter.

11. choker

choker Senior Member

yeah, but with harvard, those are the consolidated statistics of np/hst candidates. the majority of hst candidates also apply np and the succesful ones usually get into both, so they count twice. i've tried but it's impossible to find distinct statistics on the harvard's np/hst.

12. katiep

katiep Senior Member

Still, with only 30 HST students, it can't skew the stats that much. It still looks pretty good for Harvard I would say.

13. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member

I agree with the previous poster who recommended that you call the school and ask them how they feel about this (you don't have to disclose who you are, etc.). It really depends on the school--some recommend it, others don't.

14. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member

I agree with the previous poster who recommended that you call the school and ask them how they feel about this (you don't have to disclose who you are, etc.). It really depends on the school--some recommend it, others don't.

15. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member

They claim to fill their incoming freshman class about three times over, for this reason they interview well into the spring.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. docuw

docuw Senior Member

NE_Cornhusker. Which school is it? UNMC, Creighton, or other?

18. westsidespartan

westsidespartan Senior Member

Medical Student
    I also think you should ask the school. I just did that with my top choice school. I contacted the admissions director, and she told me that at this particular school, they don't consider that part of the admissions process and that such a letter wouldn't even be included in my file. So, I didn't send one.

19. jthorn1227

jthorn1227 Junior Member

Can you tell me exactly what a letter of intent is and what it is supposed to say/include? Does anyone have an example or know where I can find one??

Thanks!

20. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member

bump - I'd also really like to know about the content of a letter of intent.
    Help us SDNERs!!