Noted THx MCAT Score Report Changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HybridEarth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this was news to anyone, but I thought it was pretty cool to see the scores report through the AAMC THx now lists a "confidence band" for your composite scores (i.e., a 32 is shown as a range of 30-34) in addition to the percentiles. Lots of fancy colors and whatnot too. So modern. Such update. Wow.

ADCOMs, do you plan on using these intervals for the upcoming cycle in any way or are the percentile scores going to be emphasized as everyone is predicting? I guess I'm confused as to why anyone would consider a composite score with a std. dev. of 2 points vs. the overall percentiles. Sounds like a no brainer to me, but please pardon my ignorance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ADCOMs, do you plan on using these intervals for the upcoming cycle in any way or are the percentile scores going to be emphasized as everyone is predicting? I guess I'm confused as to why anyone would consider a composite score with a std. dev. of 2 points vs. the overall percentiles. Sounds like a no brainer to me, but please pardon my ignorance.
We have always considered each score as a point estimate with confidence intervals when evaluating individual candidates. The composite is just what is reported to the MSAR and US Snooze.

Reactions: 2 users
We have always considered each score as a point estimate with confidence intervals when evaluating individual candidates. The composite is just what is reported to the MSAR and US Snooze.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also interesting that percentiles are rounded off to the full integer now which lumps together the right tail ends - eg no more reported percentile difference between a 39 vs 42 composite or 13 vs 14 verbal

Also interesting that percentiles are rounded off to the full integer now which lumps together the right tail ends - eg no more reported percentile difference between a 39 vs 42 composite or 13 vs 14 verbal
That's dumb too, because now my score is listed as 100th percentile, which is impossible.

Reactions: 3 users
That's dumb too, because now my score is listed as 100th percentile, which is impossible.
If they define it as "percentage of people scoring equally or lower" then it's possible if you tied for high score! I don't like it though, it obviously means >99.5 which is a step down. Petition to bring back Percentile Range 99.9-99.9

It's about time they updated that website. Its nice to see more information. Was starting to wonder where all of the MCAT fees went...