Hunterthekidd

7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
It sorta seems like the general consensus is that a lot of students don't write notes- which I suppose makes sense considering the vast amount of information. So, do you just re-read the lectures notes over and over? And maybe write out some biochem pathways over and over? Do you guys read review books for class material (I know a few are gold like constanzo/Clinical Micro Made Easy/RR Goljan) but for others do you mostly rely on powerpoints from class? It seems like for doing well for class its all about memorizing as many specific details as possible but not necessarily having an understanding of the big picture (which I imagine is pretty conflicting with step 1 testing).

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It sorta seems like the general consensus is that a lot of students don't write notes- which I suppose makes sense considering the vast amount of information. So, do you just re-read the lectures notes over and over? And maybe write out some biochem pathways over and over? Do you guys read review books for class material (I know a few are gold like constanzo/Clinical Micro Made Easy/RR Goljan) but for others do you mostly rely on powerpoints from class? It seems like for doing well for class its all about memorizing as many specific details as possible but not necessarily having an understanding of the big picture (which I imagine is pretty conflicting with step 1 testing).
I guess it depends where your test questions come from. Our questions came directly from the lecture. My school provided scibe notes (someone basically wrote down most of what the lecturer said). I would listen to the lecture at home at 2x speed and edit the scribe notes as I listened to the lecture. Then I'd try to re- read all my notes 3 to 4 times before the test. It worked well for me.

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
and it looks like you are about to start. not taking notes and saying you are going to spend that time going over the material over and over is easier said than done. For example, we generally have a test a week that covers about 20 lectures on average. If each lecture averages 60 slides, that is a lot of material to go over. Plus you are taking multiple classes at a time. every school is different but the point is, i personally don't take notes because it isn't worth the time it takes as there is just too much.

OP
H

Hunterthekidd

7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
and it looks like you are about to start. not taking notes and saying you are going to spend that time going over the material over and over is easier said than done. For example, we generally have a test a week that covers about 20 lectures on average. If each lecture averages 60 slides, that is a lot of material to go over. Plus you are taking multiple classes at a time. every school is different but the point is, i personally don't take notes because it isn't worth the time it takes as there is just too much.
Yeah, that's what I've been hearing as well...so do you just read over the notes over and over? Do you use anki? I feel like thats probably best way to go for certain classes. Just read the lectures notes and make anki cards over minutiae details?

GlowInTheDark

5+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2012
Call room
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I mostly bold and underline the PowerPoint lectures as they're presented so I know what points are hit.

My usual notes are something like "didnt cover", "memorize chart", "read in text".

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, that's what I've been hearing as well...so do you just read over the notes over and over? Do you use anki? I feel like thats probably best way to go for certain classes. Just read the lectures notes and make anki cards over minutiae details?
I personally use anki for important stuff and then skim the slides. I watch the lecture and make anki cards while i am listening to it (video file of course). Now don't do exactly what I do because I am not anywhere near the top of my class. It doesn't bother me at all and using my anki/skim method, it allows me to be a father, volunteer, work weekends, and play video games while still passing. If you want to be top of your class, you will have to study more and do cool stuff less.

Reactions: Hunterthekidd
OP
H

Hunterthekidd

7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I'm honestly looking just to pass. I'd rather put most of my efforts into understanding big concepts and really drilling that into my brain and just memorize as many little specifics as I have to in order to pass- so that way my foundation is already set and then hopefully when reviewing for step 1 I shouldnt have to be learning a totally new process rather just sprinkling the details onto it. But what the f- do I know!

scoKraz4

5+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2013
It all depends on the professor for me. For one professor, the lectures are useless and you have to know the textbook inside and out. So I would take notes on the chapter..it would take like 5 hours but then I could go over the notes a ton of times before the test. Some professors use a combo of both lectures and book information so I annotate slides with stuff from the book. Then some professors just use what is on slides...so I use the slides. That is just me though.

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I'm honestly looking just to pass. I'd rather put most of my efforts into understanding big concepts and really drilling that into my brain and just memorize as many little specifics as I have to in order to pass- so that way my foundation is already set and then hopefully when reviewing for step 1 I shouldnt have to be learning a totally new process rather just sprinkling the details onto it. But what the f- do I know!
Do you want to do primary care?

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
When I was in school we got 3 test questions per lecture. Usually the lecturer would say "this slide is important" then I would make up 2-3 possible test questions myself from that slide during the lecture. Then when my study group met we would go through the important slides, the concepts, and the questions I wrote. Worked really well and cut out a LOT of extra information.

VisceralFlame

Pediatric Resident
Jan 13, 2013
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At my school, we are given 95% of the material in lecture notes and powerpoints. I think most schools provide this. I only add additional side notes and underline important things

Poliscidoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We are given lecture objectives (sometimes vague) and our professors will pull there questions from somewhere close to there- Although this sounds easy it is pretty much 15-20 lectures objectives of which 3 questions are going to come from so you really just have to review and review and review the slides over and over. We have a few people in our class that make outlines of the material which helps (6o slides into 8-11 pages).

NOsaintsfan

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
Mississippi
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
My school is the same as someone else mentioned above in that we have a test every 1-2 weeks over ~20 lectures/assignments. The powerpoints that accompany the lectures are about 50-60 slides per 1 hr lecture so its a lot. I take notes on the powerpoint note section during the lecture then go back and study that. I personally do make notes but they are brief, as in for 50-60 ppt slides I might have 2-3 pages. This only works if you have already looked over the material and can write out main points that will help trigger your memory as to the rest of the details.

Its tough at first but don't fret. Everyone eventually figures out the best way for themselves to study, as long as your putting in effort you will get there.